add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Surround Sound Help

jamieirl

15 months ago

I'm in the process of finding some fantastic immerive headphones for single player games. It's my understanding that headphones technically don't have surround sound, it's just an illusion created by drivers. Which I'm fine with. I keep seeing headphones advertised as 7.1 and they seem to be the top of the line "surround sound" gaming headphones, should I be looking for 7.1 headphones or do I have other options, like a sound card or whatever? I began this headphone search thinking that it'd be the easy part but it turns out that I don't know what I'm doing.

Basically I'm just looking on advice that'll aid me in my search, because currently if I see headphones that might look great, but aren't advertised as 7.1 surround sound, I feel like I shouldn't consider them.

Help a newbie out. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Open back: GSP 500 or Game One's

Closed back: GSP 600 or Game Zero's

Surround sound: GSX1000 paired with any of the above, also hearing good things about the Soundblaster AE-5 for its surround but I personally own the GSX1000 and it is amazing.

This route will cost more than getting a headset with a USB dongle that does the surround but it will also be more versatile, and higher quality and easily falls within your $500 budget.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I like this idea, especially since I've been so impressed with sennheiser based on my limited research. I'm going to explore it when I get home.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ll pay up to $500, I guess. I haven’t seen any “gaming” headphones for that much which have caught my eye but if there were a pair of headphones to rule them all I’d pay it. I had a pair of headphones a couple years back that had a nice surround sound effect and they weren’t even that expensive. I’m looking to achieve whatever surround sound experience that I can on a fantastic pair of head phones. Also, a microphone isn’t needed, but all of these gaming head phones come with one, and I would use it occasionally, so I’m not against having one. The quality of the mic isn’t important to me at all, though. I have a cheap headset with a mic already and the mic rarely gets used.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Either, I have a room for my computer and have minimal noise to deal with. I did have my eye on the 363d and 373d, among some other Sennheiser headphones that weren’t advertised as gaming. At this moment I’m looking at Sennheiser headphones rs 175 & 185.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you elaborate on the not good for gaming part? They’ll be primarily used for immersive gaming so that’s what I’m most concerned about. Beautiful head phones, though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube