add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SubNauticaWaterWorld47

14 months ago

I am looking to upgrade my RX 480 to something like Vega but I am tempted to wait for Navi. My only issue is that while NVidia has already released their 2000 series AMD has yet to even hold a conference about their next generation of GPUs. Will AMD be as behind with Navi as they were with Vega and does anyone have solid information about Navi with a possible release date?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

It was mentioned as an upcoming milestone, but not as a product that has been taped out yet, so they don't even have working silicon to even start concept proofing the design yet.

https://community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2018/08/27/expanding-our-high-performance-leadership-with-focused-7nm-development

Probably all of a year at least giving they just started looking for engineers to design a GDDR6 memory controller a few months back. Major downside of this is they seem willing to continue with TSMC so they will be stuck waiting on Apple's priority production along with NVidia at least for the near future although both Samsung and Intel are going to be opening up their foundries for 7nm LPE/LPP and 10nm/10nm+ next year.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

So I should expect around 3rd or 4th quarter in 2019 or can I be hopeful and expect 1st quarter.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe Q4'19 if AMD is lucky.

Polaris was taped out nearly a year before it launched, same with Vega.

The majority of the work going into it isn't for AMD's graphics cards either, it is being primarily funded by and for Sony for the next generation Playstation APU, and the people who pay for it get the say in the development focus.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nvidia releases a 21x0 series (on 7nm) before AMD's next generation. TSMC is presumably making final silicon as fast as it can with Apple's next iPhone to be released (and sold to those waiting in line).

I'm a bit surprised that nvidia decided to launch Turing right as 14nm becomes a "trailing edge" technology. They must really want to get raytracing out as soon as possible, because if they wanted fast cards they could have simply waited a month or two (and why didn't they ship consumer Volta to miners when they had the chance).

If you are running an RX480 and are looking only to AMD do you have a 1080 monitor? Are you running a 4x in 1080, or possibly a 1440 in either resolution? I'd expect to match a Navi with a 4x with freesync, but I'm not sure how available they are (hopefully cheap freesync 4x TVs will be available by then).

The floor should fall out of the used 1080/1080ti market in about a month, making 4x a real possibility. If you are holding out for a Vega, I'd assume that Vegas should fall as well, but post 9/30 nvidia's are less likely to have been abused mining (they use too much power and I'd assume that most of that wave were gaming cards. The Vegas may well be miners finally admitting that their cards aren't worth all that much.

It all comes down to how long you can wait (and what resolution/framerate you want). Waiting for AMD always seems to be heartbreakingly delayed, and I'm sure that nvdia will want to time their next generation to compete on an even basis with AMD. Reading carefully into Gilroar's link we notice that while AMD still claims to release Vega20 [the 7nm vega] in 2018, they have only taped-out and don't have samples. Time is running out guys. Also they have taped out Epyc [on 7nm Zen 2, current ryzens use zen+] and plan on releasing in 2019 but don't say anything about a 7nm Ryzen (which I thought was supposed to be on GF, which might take some time to fix). I suspect AMD's priorities are:

Epyc (zen 2 server)

Ryzen (zen 2 desktop)

PS5 (who is paying for Navi, contracts might even put this higher than Ryzen)

Navi

That said, I don't expect anyone to come up with a better process for manufacturing chips than TSMC 7nm for at least 5 years, so it will be hard to go wrong once AMD and nVidia put their (7nm) boards on the table. If the Sony money manages to provide enough R&D for AMD to finally catch up to nVidia, Navi should be the heart of some great cards. Just don't hold your breath.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a bit surprised that nvidia decided to launch Turing right as 14nm becomes a "trailing edge" technology. They must really want to get raytracing out as soon as possible

My gut feeling says the architecture when the move to the next node will still be largely similar to Turing but on a smaller process. For now I think it makes sense from a business perspective to get another cycle in between Pascal and whatever is next as they can simply sell bucket loads of cards regardless by slotting in this generation and plenty of people will run out and buy the next generation regardless.

Ray-Tracing like you mention I expect is another reason and in a round abouts way am happy about that. Be good to get a new piece of tech going like Ray-Tracing and first step is always painful as its a chicken and egg situation with dev's not using it until the market can make use of it. Hopefully Turing is the incentive for that and by the time we get to next gen, its being implemented more effectively on all sides.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube