add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build, Check out my Parts List

aaron2143

17 months ago

Guys,

This will be my first build so any suggestions or help will be great. I am trying to go with a white/black build but at the same time not letting colors and looks drag down my performance. I am trying to stay under $1000 for the total. I wanted to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 Pinnacle Ridge instead of the 1600 since the price difference was minimal between the CPU's but there arent many boards that I have seen that accept it out of the box without a BIOS update. I am scared to get it then my mobo not boot because of needing an update. Any tips appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/aaron2143/saved/

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $165.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $75.98 @ Newegg
Storage Inland - Professional 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $24.99 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.95 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $359.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $46.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $937.87
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $917.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-30 11:10 EDT-0400
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, On the RAM isn't it better to go with 2 sticks instead of 1? i read something about dual channel? I hated to buy 2 sticks of 4GB because of expand-ability in the future but i had read where two sticks would run in dual channel mode or whatever lol.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

That is correct, 2 sticks are better if you buy them packaged together. Getting 2x4 is fine especially if your board has 4 slots. Worst case scenario you run a 2x8 with a 2x4 but so long as they run the same latency and frequency you'll be alright. A dual channel board won't run quad channel anyways so once you get another set you'll get rid of the benefit of dual channel. Also you could totally get a b350 board and a 2000 series CPU. If the BIOS is old you would just have to get a boot kit from AMD and use that to update your BIOS.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thanks for the help, How hard is it to get AMD to send out a boot kit? I read about that but didn't know if it would be a headache on actually getting one.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not all that difficult, the biggest drawback you would run into would be waiting for the thing to show up. It sucks having your whole build ready and sitting there only to have to wait for a temporary CPU. But realistically b450 motherboards are typically like $10 more than their b350 counterparts so it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with a b450.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that was my thing. Yeah from what i saw price wise it wasn't that big of a difference, just not many options to choose from as of now.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

The memory speed will make the bigger difference

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

So i modified your list a little bit, included a better GPU, additional RAM while trying to keep the black and white build in mind.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $165.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $154.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Inland - Professional 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $24.99 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.95 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB D5X Video Card $429.99 @ Newegg
Case Raidmax - Alpha Prime (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $65.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $46.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1013.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-30 11:20 EDT-0400
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Dang. Never figured i could step up to a 1080 for the price range i was at...

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

A few things to consider as you build, your motherboard wont be as visual as most of us hope so stepped that down saved a bit over 80 bucks, enough to get the 1080 increase, and with additional funds and saving we can squeeze in 16GB of ram instead of the 8, making the rig perfect for gaming and heavy workload tasks too.

The benefit of the 400 series boards as well allows you to download software called "StoreMI" which allows your SSD and HDD to combine into a single drive and it will work more or less as a custom SSHD (Similar to Optane tech from intel) and you can also opt in some of your extra ram now into "Caching" or moving stuff faster to allow even faster boot times.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of it gets hidden from what i have saw in different builds as you are saying. I did not know that, very helpful info. I will definitely try that as long load times suck.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have any questions feel free to ask away, if you get the 1080 obviously you will want to get a good monitor in the future to utilize it.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help. Yeah that's another thing. I'm sure a good 144hz 4k monitor isnt cheap

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube