add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

corsair fans are cool, do you need a controller?

tech_geek100

17 months ago

so I am curious if this needs a controller to have the rgb feature, or do i just need the software?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, it needs to connect to either a corsair lighting node pro or commander pro unit which in turn connect to the motherboard via a internal USB 2.0 header. Corsair software can then read the modules and in turn the fans.

Each of those modules has 2 channels with each channel being capable of managing 6 fans or 4 Addressable RGB strips. The commander pro does exactly what the node does, but has many more input options in that you can hook.up the fan for speed control, thermal sensors, USB 2.0 expansion and so on.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

“In fact, it doesn't light up AT ALL unless I get the controller so.... that's pretty lame.”

That quote was taken from the reviews section on this site.

“This product is intended as an expansion of CORSAIR's HD120 RGB LED fan kits that include the RGB LED hub and controller.”

This is from Corsair’s official site and it implies that you would need to get the controller for RGB separately.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube