add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

John McCain has died at age 81

X47man
  • 19 months ago

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/john-mccain-death/index.html

John McCain has died of brain cancer at age 81 at his Arizona home.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 11 points

I may not agree with everything he stood for or everything he achieved in politics but I think recognition to his achievements, military service and life are always due.

Rest In Peace John, a salute to you.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Very well said Sir

• 19 months ago
  • 7 points

This is one of the more civilized forums, reading reddit and the like it’s literally like a cancerous shitshow. People can’t remove their anger from the moment, someone died and I think that needs to be respected.

Sure there are things that he’s done that not everyone can agree on but he’s not ******* Hitler or Stalin, people really say the nastiest things. Not really the time or place for it.

Two of my favorite moments from him:

2008 Election, defends Obama

Vote to repeal ObamaCare, votes AGAINST repeal

• 19 months ago
  • 3 points

Was going to link the first video as I agree fully. People can't for one second think about the human

Wasn't perfect, admitted to his own mistakes, and staunchly disagreed with many of his policies but he always made sure to never cross that line that others don't seem to care about.

Steven Goldstein, founder of Garden State Equality and the Anne Frank Center said, "I am reading posts from others who remind us that John McCain picked Sarah Palin and opposed marriage equality. Such reminders miss the point.

None of us has forgotten anything, yet it never altered our admiration of John McCain. That’s why Democrats, Republicans and independents are all grieving now. You could disagree with John McCain even on the issues closest to your heart, but you always maintained respect him as an American hero who fought for our nation as no other American has.

Admiring someone does not have to mean you agree with him or her. We must all understand that again, as John McCain inspired us to do."

• 19 months ago
  • 5 points

I don't regret voting for McCain, and never will. He was a decent man.

• 19 months ago
  • 4 points

My heart goes out to his family and friends, and my country.

• 19 months ago
  • 3 points

Its a shame he didn't get to see the day when the man-child who metaphorically pissed on his honor is impeached and imprisoned.

F.

Also, Rip Karma.

• 19 months ago
  • 3 points

He showed how you can disagree yet still respect an opponent with different viewpoints. Whether among supporters or those that also, don't agree

Treating everyone like that has sadly been lost with this current administration.

• 19 months ago
  • 3 points

He was an amazing man that while firm to his beliefs, was never snide, derisive, or hateful. He believed what he did and although I didn't agree with all that he stood for, I had the utmost respect for him. He was not afraid to take the harder path. A path that his so-called like-minded contemporaries were and are all too often afraid to take. That is the road of moderation and necessary concession.

Rest in peace, John McCain. Hopefully your acts have inspired others to emulate your tolerance and open-mindedness.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 19 months ago
  • 4 points

F

• 19 months ago
  • 4 points

F

• 19 months ago
  • 3 points

F

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

F

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 19 months ago
  • 5 points

Take the meme somewhere else. A thread about the death of someone isn't the place for this.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Comments like this are not appropriate for this site.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube