add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To install or not to install. That is the question.

Artimaeus

17 months ago

I'm upgrading from a Biostar x370 to an Asrock x470 ultimate board. Running windows 10 on the old board. The new one has a different lan manufacturer and WAN, which the old one didn't. The rest of the hardware is the same. Do I have to do a fresh install or can I get away with using the same insall?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

You should do a fresh install anyways. What's the attraction of keeping the hard drive the same? Saves half an hour? Not worth it in my opinion.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

You can backup your games in Steam onto an external drive. It takes a lot shorter amount of time to backup and restore games than redownloading. Backing up photos and videos is a good thing to do anyways, and they don't even need to be copied back onto the drive if you don't look at them frequently. Unless you have an obscene amount of photos and a really slow drive, there's no real point to not backing them up anyways. It takes at most 2 hours to back up and restore everything most of the time.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Always fresh install.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

Read this before doing your hardware change.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Drivers are software. Get your drivers off the motherboard resource CD, of download from their website to a USB flash drive with another computer. Or you can see if windows 10 installs some generic drivers. You can always switch them later.

Hope this helps.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I vote for fresh install.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you everyone for your input. I've done both just so I could discover which is best. With the old install, I just uninstalled the lan and sound drivers and just used the default windows 10 ones and everything seems to work fine. I double checked Event Viewer just in case and I noticed a few errors around Ryzen Master, but a reinstall of that fixed that.

One thing to note is that I did have to contact Microsoft to get my Windows key reactivated as Window's built-in reactivation for hardware changes doesn't seem to want to work.

I did end up reinstalling Windows to put the drive in a RAID config. Thanks everyone!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube