add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

a good PC tuneup program out there?

jarrodrh

17 months ago

I have AVG pc tuneup and it says I have a disk to fragmentate and it will start to fragmentate but never fully completes. However it shows its in the process of doing so but its been going for hours. So either I need a new program or this usually takes time? Any advice?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

The problem is with the AVG product itself. Their product is nothing but a scam.

First thing is to uninstall it.

Use Geek uninstaller, double click on it, select remove. another window will pop up asking if you want to remove the left over traces, click yes.

Afterwards, just disk Defragmenter which came preinstalled on Windows, it does a fine job.

Windows 10 already has a built in maintenance program.

Use the Built-in Windows Defender for traditional antivirus.

Use Malwarebytes for Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit

CCleaner: For those that want to go above the basic cleaning provided by the Windows Disk Cleanup tool, CCleaner allows you to clean out temporary files by program, and offers advanced features for power users. ... This simple app lets you clean junk from your computer in the areas of browsers, old system files, games, and programs.

Hope this helps.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

awesome thanks so much

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

My pleasure

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

You can defrag your computer yourself in the windows menu. If you type in disk defrag itll popup pick the drive you want and itll get to working.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Using 3rd party software isn't really necessary, just backup your important files to an external drive and do a fresh install.

Just make sure you have all the drivers you need for a fresh setup on hand already.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

AVG is junk.

I use Defraggler and CCleaner for decluttering SSD and HDD files and what not.

Like Morgan123 said, "Use the Built-in Windows Defender" and then I use MalwareBytes for malware security or full pc scans when something seems wrong and I suspect something's (a virus or what not) is in my PC.

• 16 months ago
  • -1 points

If you're running Windows 7, Iolo System Mechanic is really good, fixed some errors I was having on my laptop and made it run a little faster, and it's free. If you're on Windows 10 it has it's own system maintenance software.

If you're only looking for a Drive Defrag then just use the one built into windows.

The AVG TuneUp is rubbish.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube