add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to buy an OS

0ZWEIL0
  • 21 months ago

I am new to PCS and I'm very confused about operating systems. I know I need an operating system but don't know what version of Windows to get. Also what is the cheapest and easiest way to actually buy an operating system.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

I went to best buy to purchase my key make sure it is a RETAIL version so it wont be locked to your motherboard. It came in a USB form and was easy to install.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Windows 10 Home 64-bit will likely suit your needs if you're not in a professional environment. If you don't plan on swapping motherboards or systems, the cheapest way is to get an OEM key, available from a reputable vendor such as Newegg

Consider the following when looking at an OEM license:

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions: OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

If those restrictions will hinder your intended use, such as moving the license to a new machine, then you will need to get the Full version, available from Newegg here

You will pay about the same price no matter where you buy it from, any big box store or vendor linked from PCPP will do, the super cheap ones you will see on places like Ebay are a red flag, likely stolen. You can also buy the Full version directly from Microsoft here.

The easiest way to get it is via download, you just have to have a flash drive with at least 4GB of space for the installer, which you can download here. If you don't have a pc you can use to create the installation media, you can order Win10 as a flash drive directly from Microsoft, Newegg, Amazon, etc.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I just bought a retail key from newegg so i can just look on my previous orders to get my key. I'd probably lose a usb.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I would create the USB installer using tool from Microsoft (recommended by Jeff_M). This guarantees latest available version and you just need to buy a key from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support#uefi_media_creation_tool

You will be able to install windows without the key. Its not going to be the cheapest but I would buy a RETAIL key directly from Microsoft (recommended by lodie187), as this means that if you ever change your hardware specifically the motherboard later on, the key will still be valid. OEM keys are tied to the motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube