add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
I_got_you

17 months ago

Not sure which thread to post this in, so here it goes.

In college we are currently starting to troubleshoot IT problems, mainly fixing people's computers. I am looking for a diagnostic tool that I can boot outside of windows, like a live environment, that will tell me all of the hardware information (Name, Size(if applicable ), Model/Serial Number, and Status (ie. Working, off, on, no power to hdd). Also either the same tool or a different one that can be booted outside of windows that will grab the product keys for every software on the machine incase I have to reinstall the operating system, then I can just put there keys back in.

For the Antivirus, would it be better to find a good AV for my Linux laptop and just connect and scan the pc from there, or just use my kaspersky rescue usb?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Gandalf’s Win10PE boots into a PE (preinstalled environment) and has just about every diagnostic and information utility you would ever need.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

wow that looks pretty good, thanks for the input

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

For antivirus I would look at just using malwarebytes for removal (just install and then remove when done). Kaspersky rescue usb is pretty good, but I know of no decent linux AVs so you probably won't find anything decent written for linux. Clam is about the only thing and its not that great.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, thanks for the input! I think I will stick with the rescue USB for now instead of trying to do a scan from my Linux laptop.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube