add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Second Wi-Fi signal for bungalow?

Whilki

19 months ago

Hi, I live in a bungalow out the back of my parents house and have recently had an electrician run an Ethernet cable from the modem inside, to my bungalow, as I am building a computer soon I also wanted a wired internet connection. But, as for my phone, it won't reach the wireless signal from inside (even with an wifi extender). So I'm wanting to buy (a router I assume?) something so I can plug it into the Ethernet wall plug in the bungalow and send out wifi to my phone (inside the bungalow), while still being able to plug in my new computer through Ethernet. This might be a very simple question, but I'm not very experienced. Any advice or shared links would be appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

So like a ethernet extender? Your post was TL;DR

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Why bother commenting and asking a question if you didn't even bother to read the post you ******* cretin?!

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

... something so I can plug it into the Ethernet wall plug in the bungalow and send out wifi to my phone (inside the bungalow), while still being able to plug in my new computer through Ethernet.

The least costly method would be to purchase a wireless router with wireless access point (WAP) mode/feature. e.g. Asus RT-AC68 series or the more recent Asus RT-AC1900 series...
If budget is larger, you can use a PoE network switch for additional Ethernet connections and have it powering dedicated WAP(s)

Results will vary as usual since it is wireless and grade of hardware will also impact performance.. e.g. location of the WAP, size of the bungalow, material/obstructions in the bungalow, home vs commercial grade....

Results will also vary, depending on the network setup in the main house. e.g. cheap ISP provided gateway device or modem and a separate router setup. Bandwidth/speed of the internet plan, level of traffic generated at main house + bungalow...

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate, I think this answers my question! Much appreciated

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad it helped.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube