add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Soooooo... anyone know anything about modding wrx/Stu’s?

JarJarJamal
  • 20 months ago

I’m almost 16, and I recently got an opportunity to buy a 2002 bugeye subaru. I’m kinda familiar with tuner culture so I’m not completely dumb to modding but I wanted a second opinion on what to start off with.

Storytime: My neighbor got his bugeye from another person who did an sti swap, as the year after the bugeye was the first year subaru brought the STI to the US. So eventually it got an engine issue, so he took it to the dealer and they took the engine apart to see what was wrong. But of course they do what they always do, so tried to gouge for money. They took the engine completely apart and tried to charge him some insane amount to put it back together. So we were talking one day, and he brought it up and then I asked what he was going to do. He goes “probably sell it” so I told him I needed a first car. And he said give me 1000 and it’s yours. No rust, dents, or blemishes and it’s only got 60k miles on the chassis.

One of my dads friends had a spare sti motor (still somewhat apart) so I’m mainly looking for non engine based mods for now as my dad has a pretty good idea what he wants to do to the engine.

I was thinking as a start 1) Fresh coilovers 2) Sticky tires/wheels if necessary 3) Street brakes 4) Up pipe/exhaust

As my budget until I can get more money is around 2500

Any suggestions or brands for parts I should look into?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

Paging user Tiny_Voices... lol

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

First of all there was no bugeye STI in the states. ONLY the WRX. Second of all I know a lot about these cars.

A 2002 WRX doesnt need brakes. Thats a HUGE waste of money for the street, Throw Hawk HPS pads on the stock calipers and call it a day. What is your intention with coilovers? Low or cornering performance? If you want proper ride and cornering performance expect to pay $1000+ for the parts and then pay a shop several hours labor to properly valve and adjust them for you once on the car. If you want more power, you should be getting an accessport first, before ANYTHING else.

Quality wheels and sticky tires wont be cheap and arent something you should do right away. You need to learn the car and get comfortable at its limits on standard tires before adding any more wheel width or tire compound to the equation. This is a huge mistake noobs make and it REALLY kills the learning skill ability.

As for an exhaust. WRX's are easy. Get any cheap catback and then a Cobb downpipe.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya I think I mentioned above that it was an sti swap. The plan is to get another 2.0 sti engine and start working from that point on. I want the coilovers for corner, not really a big fan of lowering jap cars to the ground tbh. I asked around and there’s an Armenian dude down the street that designs custom wheels for the track and he’s willing to give me a deal if I help him out with some stuff. I’m pretty sure the wheels on it are fine for daily use, I don’t remember the exact name but the previous owner used to take those out to the track. New tires are definitely a must though as the cars been sitting for a while now.

I’ve also heard a lot controversy on down pipes and up pipes. What’s the difference? Also I’ve heard a lot of debate on whether a cold intake is worth it or not, what do you think? Thanks for the help I appreciate it

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

A cold air intake isnt even really a thing on a turbo car. Don't bother. A shorter intake spools the turbo faster than some stupid long tube that goes off into the wheel well.

$2500 isnt going to go car.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Gravity is Subaru's biggest weakness, and ringlands, and cost of parts, and transmissions....and general durability. They look cool though and their AWD system is well designed. Be prepared to spend the cost of a small house building a WRX for power and reliability though. Anything north of 400 to 500whp and they are grenades from what I typically see.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya I’ve heard they get pretty problematic, and that transmission in the bugeye is always an issue if you add too much hp. I don’t have any intent of messing with the tranny yet but I’m pretty certain I wanna get a short shifter.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Take care of it properly and you'll be fine!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The 5 speed is glass but if you have an STI motor you put in you likely have the 6 speed trans with it. So this should be a non issue for you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube