• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DoHbOyBlAzEd 62 months ago

Getting bored again, looking to build something to tinker with. Considering this mITX build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor $124.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99 @ Memory Express
Memory Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ NCIX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.75 @ Vuugo
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card $124.99 @ NCIX
Case Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case $49.50 @ Vuugo
Power Supply Antec 450W ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ NCIX
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $554.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 22:59 EST-0500

Considered going with the AMD 750K, but due to the high price of motherboard it works out to be a couple bucks more. Can price match current build down to $529 + tax (13%) so just under $600.

Debating whether or not to go with 4GB of memory and a GTX 750ti or 260x. Or possibly going to the $700 after tax price range and getting an i5 + r7 260x 2gb. This build will be sold, so I'm thinking most potential buyers will see 8GB before the title of the videocard.

No need for O/S. I am aware of memory voltage, not worried.

All opinions welcome.

Comments Sorted by:

Eschaton 6 Builds 1 point 62 months ago

Unfortunately you're probably right about your buyers seeing the memory before the card. This is actually a contested topic in my mind - do I give my customer what they say they want, or do I build them the best computer for their needs?

Companies like Dell and Lenovo are basically doing a variant on the first idea - give people the flashy stuff that will sell the product because people think they need it. Giant hard drives, blue-ray burners, and dedicated Geforce 630 graphics, lol.

I just can't personally allow myself to do the same, even though I know that my computer builds therefore seem less appealing to the average customer. I feel like if I'm going to build a custom PC, then it's going to be an actually good machine; something more specifically tailored to them than what they could get in the box stores.

Anyway, back on topic - what's your plan for fixing any potential memory voltage issues?

DoHbOyBlAzEd submitter 20 Builds 1 point 62 months ago

If the ram were incompatible I would just take it back and get some 1.5v memory. Usually in these cases you just have to manually set timings and voltage in bios, no biggie.

Just built the computer, reads the ram fine and even sets proper voltage. I just need to set the timings.

Eschaton 6 Builds 1 point 62 months ago

how did you get the computer put together that fast!? It was only a day ago you were looking at the components, lol.

DoHbOyBlAzEd submitter 20 Builds 1 point 62 months ago

lol, I work quickly. Picked everything out last night, went to the local MemoryExpress today, got them to price match (and beat) the parts and voila. Built it after work today.

Completed build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/NoF