add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SubNauticaWaterWorld47

20 months ago

This motherboard is the only one I can find that has 2 m.2 slots but when I put it in my part list it says it doesn't have enough?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard -
Storage Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $89.99
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $199.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-27 12:40 EDT-0400

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably just an error. I mean, there are two slots on the pictures as well, so it's probably an error. If it had something to do with bandwidth, I'm pretty sure it'd've specified

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't have enough slots that are compatible.

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270-I-GAMING/specifications/

You have two SATA drives but only one SATA compatible M.2.

ITX boards don't really have a ton of room for extra SATA controllers but generally they have PCI-E lanes to spare.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Darn. So what would I do with the 275gb m.2 SSD? Could I put it into a sata adapter like this?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The adaptor would work although would have to be wired like a normal 2.5in drive.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it be wiser to move up to a mATX board with 2 compatible slots?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what size you want the finished build.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Could I get a m.2 to pcie adapter and put both ssds on there?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If you stay with ITX it would cost the x16 slot so no graphics card.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

For $40 more you could replace the 500gb WD blue with the WD Black 512gb NVMe m.2..

Or for $20 more you could replace the MX300 with the WD Black 250gb NVMe <.2.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I have bought both of those and they already have quite a bit of files.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

ahhhh. I now get where you are coming from. Well, both drives sell well. There's always the option of backing up to your HDD, and then selling it.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like that is my only decent option. Thanks for the help though!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah np. Hell if I had the money I’d offer to buy whichever you wanted to sell, and at retail price. Those both are very good drives.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube