• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 10 months ago

What affects ping? I am trying to play Overwatch but around 6 o'clock my ping shoots up from 40ms to over 200ms. What could cause this?

Comments Sorted by:

xbiker12 1 point 10 months ago

The 2 main causes I know of are increased traffic and interference.

Interference causes packets to get dropped and need to be resent. (especially seen on spotty wifi, but I've also had it when the cable modem was starting to die... or other network equipment starts going out) Increased traffic will cause delays while waiting its turn to get through the network bottleneck.

is this a smooth 200ms or a sporadic 200ms ping?

is anyone else in the house using the same connection? are you hardwired or using wifi?

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 1 point 10 months ago

The PC has a direct Ethernet connection and there are 5 other people using the wifi. It is a 100Mbps plan with a sporadic 200ms spiking up to 300ms.

xbiker12 1 point 10 months ago

for me, when my roommate would watch netflix or youtube I would get lag spikes. like half a second every 5-30 seconds. Or if my work laptop was connected to the office VPN I would notice a similar thing.

If this could be the cause at all, then I would recommend the QoS (Quality of Services) settings on your router. After I did that it was a very noticeable difference if my gaming experience while netflix was going.

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 1 point 10 months ago

How do I setup a Qos? I have a Netgear AC1750 router and I do have admin priviledges.

ZaCLoNe 2 points 10 months ago