• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 11 months ago

I have a 7700k that is overclocked to 5.0GHz at 1.325v and I was wondering what it would be like to swap to the Ryzen 2600x. I play Subnautica, Overwatch, and ARK with a 144hz monitor but I am guessing the difference between my 7700k and a 2600x with a rx 480 is negligible. If I were to swap I have a few questions. I only have 2400mhz ram so would just upgrading my ram instead of swapping platforms be a better option? How overclockable is Ryzen 2 (I understand mileage will vary)? Does Ryzen 2 have improve minimum frame rates over a 7700k?

Comments Sorted by:

Chillsabre 2 Builds 1 point 11 months ago

The Ryzen CPUs still have pretty decent gaming performance, specially the refreshed Ryzen CPUs but to get the most out of them, fast RAM is almost mandatory. That being said, both CPUs will likely get the most of your GPU in all the games you noted above. Unless you wanted to stream or do something that was core heavy and/or some multitasking, theres not a lot of reasons to switch if you have the 7700K.

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 1 point 11 months ago

No plans on streaming but an ARK server could be in the future after much needed research.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 11 months ago

I have a 7700k that is overclocked to 5.0GHz at 1.325v and I was wondering what it would be like to swap to the Ryzen 2600x. I play Subnautica, Overwatch, and ARK with a 144hz monitor but I am guessing the difference between my 7700k and a 2600x with a rx 480 is negligible.

None of those titles benefit from multi threading over the better per core performance of the 7700K.

I only have 2400mhz ram so would just upgrading my ram instead of swapping platforms be a better option?

Probably. Overwatch and ARK scale somewhat decently with RAM speed.

How overclockable is Ryzen 2 (I understand mileage will vary)?

It isn't worth the effort sadly overclocking trades blows with what the Precision Boost+XFR can achieve at stock speeds so long as you keep the CPU under 60c.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600X/13.html

Does Ryzen 2 have improve minimum frame rates over a 7700k?

No the improved minimum frame rates of Gen 1 was a side effect of the high latency profiles smoothing out frame rate delivery, when AMD lowered the latency through BIOS revisions the frame rates shifted to a very similar profile to what Intel models were delivering.

So what RAM speed would you recommend?

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 11 months ago

3000/3200mhz with tighter timings should give a decent performance boost.

yawumpus 1 point 11 months ago

Nothing on the market gets better framerates than a 5.0GHz i7 (someday there might be something that benefits form the extra 2 cores of a 8700k, but we haven't seen it yet).

The GPU is what is holding you back (unless you have it at minimum graphics levels and 1920x1080, and even then no CPU will do better).

[comment deleted]
Edition1 1 point 11 months ago

2600X wouldn't really give you any benefit other than streaming or heavy multitasking compared to a 7700k at 5GHz, and you said that you wont be streaming so you should stay with the 7700k.

5GHz seems like a bit much though don't you think? It will probably shorten the lifespan of your cpu quite a bit I guess. Maybe I'm wrong, and I guess if you upgrade fairly regularly it wont matter.

I only use 1.325v which is barely higher than what many motherboards push at stock configuration. I also have a H115i which has never allowed my 7700k to exceed 71C.

Ok nice fair enough.

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 2 points 11 months ago

The clock speed isn't what kills a processor it is the voltage and temperature as a result of that voltage.

Ok thanks i didnt know that now i do.

[comment deleted]