add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much will this improve fps?

ReverseFlash
  • 23 months ago

I have a Radeon 560 with a Fx 6300 and my Fps are a bit of an issue and I was thinking of getting 1060 so how much will this improve fps and does graphics card or processor matter more when it comes to getting better fps?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends on what is holding you back.

If its the graphics card holding you back lowering settings will gain you frame rates.

If it is the CPU holding you back lowering settings will not gain you frame rates.

If you are limited by the graphics card upgrading it will help, But if you are held back by the CPU frame rates will stay the same no matter how much graphics performance you throw at it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx for answer!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the game, and whether or not it pushes the CPU or GPU primarily.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

thx for answer!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I would prioritize getting a new CPU, as in most gaming circumstances, it’s going to hold you back.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx for answer!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I would first upgrade the GPU, because that way you will get around this without buying almost a new PC.

The problem is, you use an low end GPU.

That means, if you upgrade to a faster processor, let's say an Ryzen 1600 you will see improvement even with the same GPU, and if you leave that processor and upgrade to a better GPU, you will see improvement as well.

How much of an improvement, it depends from the game in question.

Some tests with the FX-6300 and a GTX 1060

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6Jh8BApn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5avTniBysU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLbAbMcQ22I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCDXcB1A4Q

Games that are more CPU demanding, you should lower the game settings...

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx for answer! Wait so when you say Games that are more Cpu demanding you should lower settings does that mean the Cpu's holding him back because when he lowers settings it increases his Fps

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait so when you say Games that are more Cpu demanding you should lower settings does that mean the Cpu's holding him back because when he lowers settings it increases his Fps

No game runs through the CPU only!

So, the GPU takes a part of the load.

Lowering the detail settings, you force the GPU to work less thus getting some fps more, leaving the CPU at the same load levels.

Sometimes if you have a huge CPU bottleneck, it makes almost no difference if you lower the games settings at the minimum available, because the CPU is working already at 100% load.

And as some game effects are intended to run through the GPU, you can't forced them to run through the CPU anyway.

A good CPU is needed to maintain the fps at lower resolutions, and a good GPU is needed to play games at high detail levels for maintaining the same or even higher fps.

The problem is, no game is balanced to a 50/50 workload between the CPU and GPU, so there will be always a performance degradation with one of those two components.

However, the most games tends to share the load in a percentage of 40/60 to the CPU and GPU accordingly.

So, getting a Ryzen 1200 for example with an GTX 1070 wouldn't be a bad idea.

However getting a i7-8700K with an GTX 1050 wouldn't be the best gaming experience.

Also we are taking to account, that someone will play his games with at least high settings in mind.

Otherwise, why bothering of getting a PC?

A PS4 pro would do the same job, if not even better, at least on those games that re locked at 30 fps.

That's because 30 fps with V-sync on a console in relation to a controller and a good amount of motion blur keeps things smooth. ;)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome this makes sense now thx!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Fortnite, pubg and overwatch

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Neither of your parts are great, but I would prioritize upgrading the CPU. The FX 6300 is really not that great. The 560 is kinda a low-end card, but it should work fine for those games (though not at ultra settings).

Problem with upgrading your CPU is that you'll likely need to buy a new motherboard and new RAM as well.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah its a pre built my brother got for christmas he's not happy with the performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube