add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RFC: How Are You Surviving this GPU Market Craziness?

SummitEagle
  • 24 months ago

How are you surviving the GPU pain? Are you paying today's crazy GPU prices anyway, buying low-end GPU's, using your leftover parts, buying used or what?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 3 points

I built my PC without a graphics card last month, currently using integrated graphics (i5-8600k). Intel UHD 630 is absolute trash for anything more demanding than minecraft, but I have an Xbox One/360 to play other games for now. Planning to get a Gtx 1080 once I save a bit more.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

For a time, I was going to do the same thing. Thanks for that UHD performance information.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Bought on Black Friday, before the cryptapocolypse.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

My GTX 970 still slaying most games on ultra or high graphics. I'll wait it out as long as I have to. Paying $1300 for a video card is just crazy.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

I got a GTX 1050. I wanted to get a 1060.... but I am not paying $400 for a $250 card! Even for the performance upgrade, I can make do with this thing until prices drop... Or I wait a bit more for the next generation GTX series drops and buy a 1070 while sites still have overstock and need to get rid of old stuff.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Buy prebuilts. Harvest components, keep what you need for upgrading your rig. Sell the rest, get a good profit off GPU or RAM with today’s prices, usually covers the cost of whole prrebuilt. Congrats, free upgrades and a couple hundred dollars extra

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

If anyone buys GPU's off of Craigslist, how do you know the GPU is good or defective? Do you test it at the time of sale? What if the part has already been pulled?

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Get as much evidence as you can. Ideally the seller shows you the card working once you're there in person. If you can't get that then all you can ask for are pictures/video of the card running and screenshots of benchmark results with up-to-date timestamps and accept the risk.

Though to be honest, there's still some risk even in the former case.

If the seller won't show you anything at all, then drop everything and walk away as quickly as possible.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

"If the seller won't show you anything at all, then drop everything and walk away as quickly as possible."

That possibly could be a signal that the GPU is stolen.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

With Craigslist, you generally don't want to invite strangers to your home or workplace. This goes for both the buyer and seller.

Unfortunately, this can make it significantly more difficult to verify that a graphics card is in working condition, unless you have a mini-ITX system and monitor you're willing to bring out to a public place.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing i like to think when buying a used gpu to to get a Evga or Msi branded card, transferable warranty so even if it's bricked you can rma it.

• 24 months ago
  • 0 points

I recently bought my GTX 1060 6GB off Craigslist, but it was brand new still in a sealed box.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still running a Radeon 7950 Boost and hoping relief comes eventually(tm).

• 24 months ago
  • 3 points

I sold my rx 480 , for more than what I paid for it. will wait for 1100 series to launch then buy a 1000 series, and be happy!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I get by with the rx 560 2gb (the 16 CU one, of course) i bought mid gpu craze for around msrp (~$100).

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Sold my 480 for 300 and bought a switch because i couldn't wait and got a practically brand new 5850 for 30 which works great for the games i play and gta 5 gets 60+ fps on 720p

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ancient games and a 560Ti.

Kerbal Space Program is a Unity game and mostly CPU limited (physics is a big part of a game based on rocket science). Lord of the Rings Online is from at least 10 years back and a 560ti can play (Gondor and later give some issues) at 1920x1080.

And more on the tablet: Spaceward Ho! is a 1990 Mac game ported to Android. Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate are from 2000ish and ported to Android (and were on sale recently).

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been able to use the gpu shortage to my advantage. I was able to sell high and buy low. Went from a 1070 to a 1080ti.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Got my 1060 6GB for $214... before the whole cryptocurrency made them skyrocket. I just decided to hold onto it, I could've sold it for $325+ but really, who would trust anyone during that whole phase. Nobody knows what the card was used for.

I'm gonna sit on it, and wait until I get the chance to buy a 1080Ti or equivilent.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Got lucky and bought a 1060 6GB for $260 before the big spike in prices. Within 2 weeks they were over $300.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a low-end card for a pre-built computer I had for about 6 years last year, which I am currently using in my current rig. My current computer is the first I've ever built and because of funds, I decided to keep the same GPU and had planned on upgrading during the holidays in 2017.

Since prices have been insane since after Thanksgiving, I haven't upgraded yet, and I'm waiting for next-gen Nvidia GPUs, or for current prices to come back down a bit more. Prices have actually come down between 15 to 25% since the beginning of March from what they were at their highest at the beginning of the year and in February.

I am also noticing used GPUs popping up on Craigslist, OfferUp, and LetGo where I'm located. Some used, some "new." But I'm going to buy new from a retailer or a manufacturer - just a personal preference when it comes to electronics.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a GTX 1080 (including Destiny 2) for $770 AUD at the end of November, when there was a dip in prices (it went back up to around $950).

It's supposed to go into my Ryzen 2 build later this year, but it's doing so well with my old FX8350 (at 1440p), I'm not sure there's any need to upgrade yet..

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Bought a Vega 56 at launch while the first batch was guaranteed to be MSRP, then watched the price double within days. I'll be happy with it for a long while yet. Just need to get it under water.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I lucked up, so to speak. My EVGA - GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card, that I had in my pc I built back in 2014, bit the dust about 3 months back. Called EVGA and they sent me a 1060 SSC replacement. Now looking at the prices of cards today, they are so over inflated price wise, I wouldn't dare buy the EVGA 1080 that I wanted to get now. Regardless of your pc bulid budget, you have got to admit that, these GPU prices have become cringe worthy.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube