Topic

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 11 months ago

Solved

Here is my full part list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $250.00
CPU Cooler Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $109.99
Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $109.99
Storage Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $89.99
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $129.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card Purchased For $249.99
Case Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $99.99
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $99.99
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $0.00
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 97.0 CFM 140mm Fans $39.99 @ Amazon
Other Team Vulcan 16GB (2x8) DDR4-2400 Purchased For $64.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1244.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-30 17:15 EDT-0400

I just recently updated my bios to version P2.30 and even loading the auto overclock profiles doesn't work. Here is the validation (https://valid.x86.fr/bqcaap). Also it is only using 2 cores and 4 threads so I am basically using a bloody pentium.

Comments Sorted by:

dwang040 2 Builds 2 points 11 months ago

Now, I don't have an ASRock motherboard, so I don't know how the layout is, but take a look at the advanced cpu settings. I know in my gigabyte motherboard, I have the option to manually enable and disable cores, as well as enable and disable hyperthreading. It's possible that those settings were mistakenly changed (maybe through a bug in the new bios update) and that for some reason, the bios manually disabled cores 3 and 4. So check if there's something was changed in the advanced cpu section

If that doesn't help/ your bios says that all cores are working, well, if the issue were a bios bug issue, can you find the previous bios version and try to downgrade back to the previous bios version you were using? See if that fixes any issues. If it does, then, well, bring up the issue with ASRock and tell them that there's a glitch in the new bios.

Finally, for clock speed. If you can get the cores back up and enabled but the clock speed still isn't working (even though the bios says that the max turbo frequency is 4.5 or whatever you set it to, take a look at the power management in windows. I do believe you can limit the cpu's frequency through the window's power management settings. Take a look, maybe windows accidentally limited your cpu frequency to 4.2GHz.

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 1 point 11 months ago

Somehow in msconfig it got set to 2 cores on startup and I'm still not sure what prevented my CPU from using Intel Turbo Boost to go to 4.5Ghz. It is fixed now after I reset msconfig to default settings and reset the bios to default by clearing the CMOS.

dwang040 2 Builds 1 point 11 months ago

Interesting. Didn't realize you could limit the number or cores through msconfig. But I'm glad you were able to fix everything and get it running! Nice!

mark5916 1 point 11 months ago

How you figured out, with the above proof you posted, that your CPU runs at 4.2GHz?

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 11 months ago

With your validation link I am confused?

It shows your CPU running at 4.8 GHz, with 4 cores and 8 threads as expected????

Your Cache / Uncore or Ring Bus which is something different to core clock speed is running at 4.2 GHz

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 1 point 11 months ago

Wrong link my bad.

[comment deleted by staff]