add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best graphics card?

ReverseFlash

22 months ago

I was wondering what is the best nvidia graphics card 1080ti? But then I saw the titan XP models so idk

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

The Titan V. Not exactly made for gaming but it is the best by a landslide and could be a game changer when it comes to graphical performance. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-talks-ray-tracing-and-volta-hardware/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12547/expanding-directx-12-microsoft-announces-directx-raytracing

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting is one way of putting it they already have dedicated engine support from a few companies, game developer support, and Microsoft backing.

https://www.techpowerup.com/242504/microsoft-releases-directx-raytracing-nvidia-volta-based-rtx-adds-real-time-capability

AMD just open sourced their own Ray-tracing software but no backing or support yet.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rays-raytracing-software,36702.html

Only major issue is the lack of DX12 adoption by developers.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Titan V is a bit better than the 1080 Ti but it's designed for machine learning purposes.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Not surprised considering how powerful it is. Last I heard is that it was great for machine learning but didn't have the best drivers for gaming or whatnot. Do note this was when it first cam out so chances are it's changed and I haven't really noticed.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It has some issues gaming at 4K from what read, since the lack of any gaming drivers harms it.

Hopefully we get a stripped down version without the tensor cores for gaming and driver support.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends ... what do you want to use it for? Gaming? Tensor learning?

If for high-end gaming, then would recommend 1080 Ti add-in board versus buying direct from Nvidia (plus they are out of stock anyways). The extra cost for TitanXP doesn’t buy you much ... just extra money out of your pocket. Not counting the Titan V, the 1080 Ti is the “best” single GPU.

And Titan V screams, but at $3,000, that seems a bit much for gaming...unless you want the faster so you can own the top 3DMark benchmarks for single GPU ... then Titan V is the best right now.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx for response! Yeah thats what I've heard

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! It was killing me not knowing xD

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

1080 Ti is more refined for gaming and is cheaper however. Quadro/Titan is meant for workstations more often.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx for response and oh I guess I kinda fiqured they weren't made for gaming since their not in as many gaming machines as the 1080ti

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Quadro and Tesla cards are meant for servers and workstations. nVidia may say that the Titan line is for workstations but they are the best performing cards for gaming and a common choice for builds that cost several thousand dollars.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah Ive soon builds that cost thousand and have titans

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Titan V is great if you care about machine learning (or possibly just use float16 instead of floats for graphics) or scientific calculations (and don't care about ECC. Not a whole lot of overlap between the two but you can look up what UVA did with their non-ECC Apple Beowulf).

It looks more and more like the ultimate CUDA developer card, but has little other use than as "I'm rich" hardware. I could be wrong, but I suspect that you would be better off finding older drivers that let you SLI two 1080tis for gaming.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops. Just checked some TitanV benchmarks (that hadn't been published when I wrote the above), and they are clearly better than the 1080ti. I'm curious why, presumably the enormous wad of silicon has room more pipelines than the 1080ti and still has room for all the AI and scientific processing.

I'm pretty sure the AI bits don't take up much room/power and will likely be merely disabled on the non Titan 11xx series hardware. The scientific [double precision] work takes up around 4 times the room as normal multipliers (just the math part, moving the bits is another story) and is the bigger shock.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube