add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's up with these ram prices?

JarJarJamal

23 months ago

I'm not sure when THIS happened, but recently I've had pc issues so I was thinking of building a new budget pc for the time being, but sadly upon my return to the pc community I got slammed by the gpu market, so naturally I was like oh well I'll figure it out later so I was checking up on all the other parts I wanted for the build when I noticed that ram prices have DOUBLED. Tf did I miss?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Bad time for PC building and upgrading, mainly GPU and RAM. Prices have skyrocketed.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If you absolutely need a new system now, you'll just have to bite the bullet and buy what you can afford. I don't think we'll see any significant price decline until either late this year or early next year at the earliest.

Gamers Nexus recently did a small news piece on the issues: https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3258-hw-news-nvidia-gpp-ram-prices-getting-worse#!/ccomment-comment=10009649

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Production reached capacity and the Chinese server market is developing far faster then anticipated using up much of the available supply.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's called collusion and gouging and it's happened before. Oh my...phones use DDR4!! So what,they've been using their specialized type of DDR4 since 2015. Funny,I bought 4 sticks of DDR4-total of 32GB in Sept 16 for a build and paid about $140.00. I did three more builds buying parts into early 2017 and prices were reasonable. IMO...many that have a new,fast phone use that as their computer so their not buying another set of DDR4 sticks. Most phones I've seen reviewed only have about 3 or 4GB of DDR4.

Pfffttt...This isn't the first trip to the memory gouging rodeo--it happened back about 2000/2001 and several companies were investigated and charged. This is the same thing all over again with a different "blame game" scenario. DDR5 is supposed to be out in less than two years,what's the price of 8G of that going to be....$500.00??

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube