add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bottleck 2400g

blinko07004
  • 26 months ago

Hey guyz..... i can get a core i5 8400 and a ryzen 5 2400g cpu @ the moment. I have a gtx 1080 ti lighting card but the question is will the ryzen apu bottleck the gtx 1080 ti or will the i5 be abetter choice when you bare in mind costs

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 6 points

8400 is better choice when paired with discrete GPU.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I also can get the i5 8600k now on a special price from wootware...... i dont know what to choose at the moment. I know the 8600k is a nice cpu but will it really be worth it over the 8400

• 26 months ago
  • 3 points

With some overclocking it can be significantly faster than the already very good performing 8400... Like up to ~20-40% faster depending on workload/conditions.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

FWIW I think the R5 2400G is not a logical choice if you get a discrete GPU straight away, and could be a bad choice to pair with a high end GPU like the GTX 1080 Ti or upcoming GTX 2080 etc. For one, it only provides GPU's with an x8 PCIe connection.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

It will be a bit slower (Ryzen processors are a bit slower on some games anyway) but it would give you playable fps nevertheless.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2400G_Vega_11/14.html

At 1440p the deference should be over less.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2400G_Vega_11/15.html

However...

The price difference between an Ryzen 5-2400G vs an i5-8400 is only $10, so the better (and faster) solution would be, to go with the later. ;)

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

I5 all the way, its not even close if you have the 1080Ti.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It an unclear question, but surely it's an imbalanced system given your unusually expensive gpu (a luxury few builders have atm)?

Vitally, you would not be running your 1080TI at 16 lanes on the mere 8 lanes available on an apu (the igp steals 8 lanes from AM4 platforms). Meh for lesser gpu cards, but foolish for an expensive 1080TI.

Cores matter to games now, and increasingly so. Motherboards aside, the new $370 6 core intel (8700k?) seems the ants pants for hi end gaming.

OTH, the 4 core apu should not be judged by other ryzen latency numbers. The apu has only a single ccx and so omits slower inter ccx interconnects. As 4 cores go, it is on par with intels 4 core processors.

Consider selling the 1080 ti & getting a 2400G w/ OC :)

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

the I5 will be better, hands down.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Check out these videos for some bechmarks. 2400G isnt bad coupled with a 1080ti. Plus if you ever go intel in the future, you can always re purpose that 2400g in a itx build. I might be doing this myself. Peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsNh56ZnYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-4wp6tdig

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If you spend $1000 on the 1080Ti I don’t think you are the type of person that ‘settles’ with a CPU that does ‘an OK’ job with it.

2400G is an awesome APU but if you want the best out of a 1080Ti for example, the i5 would be the better choice in this case. I’d spend the extra $50 and go 8600K, if you can swing it.

• 26 months ago
  • 0 points

APU is meant to be used with it's own graphics, not discrete. Definitely 8400/8600k.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube