add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

650 Watts at £59.99 - Battle of the Mediocre

izools

22 months ago

So, I've narrowed my PSU choices down to two:

Coolermaster MasterWatt 650W. Semi Modular, 80+ Bronze, 5 Year warranty

Corsair CS650M 650W. Semi Modular, 80+ Gold, 3 Year warranty

Both have been reviewed to have mediocre-good voltage regulation and ripple / noise.

Both the same price on Scan.

Hmmmmm?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 4 points

How did you come to narrowing it down to these particular ones?

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

LOL, good question!

Especially with that below...

Both have been reviewed to have mediocre-good voltage regulation and ripple / noise.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Fixed budget of upto £60.

It's easy to say "Awh that's only a couple quid more" on every component and ending up adding hundreds to your build.

Not here ;)

I think the Corsair CS650M. Ripple at 100% load is still under 65mv and it uses a modern LLC Resonant design with DC-DC converters - no group regulation - and is 80+ Gold efficient.

Skookum as Frig as AvE would say

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, but we can't even tell if those are good or bad choices, since we don't know what they're going to be powering. Can't suggest anything without essential info like this.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh sure,

Ryzen 5 1600X, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI SLI Plus X370 Motherboard, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, several 120mm fans, closed loop 280mm watercooler, M.2 SSD & a 7200RPM spinner :)

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

A 650W PSU for that looks very overwhelming - the total power consumption at load would be less than 300W, so you could power two whole setups with a 650W unit. Try to find a high quality 450W-550W power supply, rather than a mediocre 650W one with power that will never be used.

Try to find BitFenix Formula Gold 550W, BitFenix Whisper M 450/550W, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W, Corsair TX550M, or Corsair RM550x (but that's probably more than Ł60).

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I can find Seasonic SS-450RM Gold unit for £65? Prices in the UK have skyrocketed recently...

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with neither of these. Why would you go with a unit that had mediocre voltage regulation and ripple? Never cheap out on a PSU unless you love headaches.

What market are you in?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I've bought a SeaSonic s12ii 620W. It runs very silent. But is not modular. Paid 60 bucks.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoever is saying that it is a bad PSU does not know what they are talking about.

[comment deleted]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, i bet 60 bucks that this PSU will not go in flames on the OPs build.

If his build is not made properly, and the insides overheats - well, then that could be a problem.

Examine the fan (here and there) if it works properly wouldn't hurt either.

So, OTP (if it had one) may never kick in anyway, and power states on the most boards (if not all of them) are disabled at default.

So, the last one is a cheap excuse. :-P

Yes, it's old but that doesn't mean it's a fire hazard, or would shut off on the first heavy load.

So, if the OP has already bought that particular PSU, nothing says that this unit will not work for years.

On the other side, i would not recommend that on a power PC build!

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

None of those point to a bad power supply. Unless you are doing some wacky with your PC OTP and group regulation are never going to be a issue. As for the sleep states, those are for labtops and tablets. No reason for you PC to sleep.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

The first thing to fail in a PSU is the fan, so when there is no OTP to detect that failure, the PSU is just going to keep heating itself up until it blows a cap or transistor.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Most single GPU systems won't need 650 watts. Anyway I think if you want better you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more. The Corsair TX650M which has a leading 7 year warranty is £12-13 more.

The series has been well reviewed (most reviewers got the 750w version) - https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-tx-750m-power-supply-review-80-plus-gold/

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Neither.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube