add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

coffee lake vs kaby lake i7?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless it's significantly less expensive than its Coffee Lake counterpart, you shouldn't consider a Kaby Lake CPU.

If you want a CPU just for VR, get an i5-8600K.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

8600k > 7700k for most task.

If you want overkill, go for the 8700k.

• 23 months ago
  • 0 points

So, for reasonable universal vr gameplay i should get the 7700?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, adding mobo expenses its about 150$ more expensive. Also I need the I7 I am doing moderate to mildly intense VR stuff!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly would you call intense VR stuff? What are your plans for this system?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

mostly VR gaming, a little business. I would refer to space pirate trainer and raw data as an "intense" example.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, adding mobo expenses its about 150$ more expensive.

Are you saying you already have a 200-series motherboard?

Also I need the I7 I am doing moderate to mildly intense VR stuff!

An 8600K will handle VR better than a 7700. The only reason to get the latter is if you already have a 200-series motherboard, and your current CPU is far enough behind in performance to make the upgrade worthwhile.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, I will upgrade, what I meant by saying adding mobo expenses meant that the current mobo didn't support the 8600k cpu.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry for the confusion, I thought you were talking about the i7 8700k. yeah, it is cheaper and seems a better deal.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's fine. It isn't your fault that hardware manufacturers go out of their way to be as obtuse and non-intuitive as possible.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

so, to end this, in the case of not overclocking the cpu, should i get the 8600k or the 8700k?

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're thinking about a 7700 or 7700K, consider the 8400 or 8600K instead.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube