• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Scrubbert 7 months ago

This is my first proper Intel Build. Before now, I've only worked on 4 AMD builds. After the purchases of 2 motherboards and 2 Intel i7 processors, I've come to the conclusion that it is DEFINITELY a bios issue, so that being said, I'm having issues understanding the bios flashback process Roughly 2 years ago, you could just rename the .CAP file and be done with it, but now there are multiple files included rather than a simple renamer and the original .cap filename. So if at all possible, I would like some modern instructions having to do with the proper bios for my build. Current Build: Intel-Core i7-4770k 3.5 GHz Quad Core Asus-P9D WS Motherboard G.Skill- Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-1600 Memory Storage stuff GTX 1070 Founders Edition Rosewill Thor Full Tower OS is Windows 10

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments Sorted by:

thedukeanator13 2 Builds 1 point 7 months ago

Wait, to be 100% clear, your issue is that you can't flash the bios? Let me clarify though, but the PC does infact work?

Now it has been a long time since I updated BIOS software, as most (all) of my devices now use UEFI. However, I don't think the process is too different.

When I updated the bios on my desktop (like 5 days ago):

• I went to the manufacturers website
  • Found my motherboard
  • went to the downloads section where the newest bios was
  • downloaded it
  • extracted it {right click, extract all}(as it was a zip folder)
  • put it on a USB {just moved the entire folder} (you can also put it on an HDD or whatever, and, but it's usually harder to locate, so I just put it in a blank 4GB flashdrive )
  • open the UEFI
  • Go to Q-flash, or just flash (I think Asus has Z-flash or Ez- flash or something)
  • select the new bios from the proper storage devices (the USB)
  • then let it do its thing

Here's a guide from Gamer's Nexus that might be worth taking a look at: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1572-how-to-flash-bios-on-asus-board

[comment deleted by staff]
Scrubbert submitter 1 point 7 months ago

They have i7 compatibility on their website. https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/P9D_WS/HelpDesk_CPU/ These are the bios, I believe, though maybe I'm using the flashback wrong?