• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Genericname5 8 months ago

I'm going to buy a GPU, and I'm going to try Honey for some extra savings, but the Honey app bothers me... When searching if honey is safe I keep getting articles (likely sponsored) from magazines, and one Reddit thread talking about it being a little suspect, I'm worried about its safety, I'd think if it was a bad extension it'd get a lot of threads complaining and warning people about it, but I just may not finding the right articles.

Internet Hivemind please help me with this.

EDIT: Honey is an extension for Google Chrome that states it finds coupons and applies them at checkout, here's the link if you want to check it out and take a risk I'm not really willing too... https://www.joinhoney.com/

Comments Sorted by:

TheShadowGuy 2 points 8 months ago

It works sometimes and is easy to use for some sites. It likely makes its money by data collection sold to advertisers (possibly anonymized, I'd have to reread the privacy policy). It usually isn't worth sifting through the coupons manually though.

Long story short, if you don't mind your purchase info being used by advertisers (or if you are cynical enough to believe they have access anyway) then over time you can save a nice chunk of money.

Genericname5 submitter 1 point 8 months ago

Now I'm back to wanting it, I think I will use it.

TheShadowGuy 1 point 8 months ago

If you want to control the info it has access to you could always install it in a different browser (along with any other extensions you use like uBlock or Ghostery).

I may do that. Thank you everyone! I'm sorry I kept going back and forth!

Captaincow285 1 point 8 months ago

Online reviews say that most of the coupons are outdated, and aren't very useful either.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to trust Honey, it just sounds too good to not be a gimmick, this has pushed me over the edge of not using it.

elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 8 months ago

Wtf is honey? Brand? Seller? Never heard of it

I meant to post a link to it, it's an extension for Google Chrome that states it finds coupons and applies them to your cart at checkout when shopping online, it sounds too good to be true so it probably isn't.

elvenson 5 Builds 2 points 8 months ago

Ah, as a general rule, I wouldn't trust it... Or anything similar to it... I'm sure it works right, but your giving them a ton of access to your info...

LoneCrusader 1 Build 2 points 8 months ago

It has no access to my info, all I did was sign up with my email and that's it and I use a trash email account for that. It doesn't gather any personal info from you otherwise I wouldn't be using it.

Genericname5 submitter 2 points 8 months ago

I'm not so worried about things like browsing info, and tracking where I go, because we all know Google is already recording you, but I was worried about it being active on sites where I enter passwords, or credit card info.

Mostly I was asking about it's safety in regards of passwords/transactions.

elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 8 months ago

That's the part I wouldn't trust. A browser extension has a ton of control over things and can easily capture information like passwords...

I'm going back and forth so much! Now I don't want it! But I want it! I'll probably not use it, I'll just search for promo codes online.

LoneCrusader 1 Build 1 point 8 months ago

I use it and save quite a bit with it, albeit it's not a whole lot at checkout but when you add up what you saved at the end of the year it's quite a bit. I think the most I ever saved in one transaction was $50. I love it, it's great.

So it does work sometime? Gah! The back and forth I'm experiencing!

From what I'm hearing is that it is safe to use, which was my main concern, the way it works just sounded too much like a click bait article is why I was worried about it.

It's always worked for me, if it's not working correctly for you I'd uninstall it and then install it again to see if it will work right for you. I shop so much at Amazon that it's a life saver for all I save with it. It embeds itself in line with the web page and shows you how much you could save. Here's a screenshot of it. There's a lot of different places it works too. It's saved me a bunch over at Monoprice too.

Ok, I'm going to try it, I read that ad-blockers stop it from working sometime so I'll pause mine.

Thank you!

There's no need to stop your ad blocker, mine runs all the time and never conflicts with Honey.

Genericname5 submitter 2 points 8 months ago

I don't remember where I read that, but it's good to know it doesn't conflict.

LukeDaDuke2018 1 point 8 months ago

The honey wont be safe if we keep killing all the bees...

Ya like jazz?

[comment deleted]