Forum Search

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Dtrager02 1 month ago

Hey community, I need some help. For a while now I’ve been searching for a laptop with the following criteria and I simply can’t find one:

• Has an SSD or is capable of having an SSD of at least 128GB
  • Screen larger than 13 inches
  • Not from HP (unless you have personal experience with an HP laptop
  • And preferably $500 maybe a bit more

It seems like all budget laptops nowadays force you to compromise. The main thing I want in my laptop is an SSD because I know it works miracles for boot times and overall speed. Also, the reason I prefer not to buy from HP is because their prices are suspiciously low and almost none of their laptops score more than 4 stars anywhere. Thanks.

Comments Sorted by:

legonate416 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Not from HP (unless you have personal experience with an HP laptop

I would honestly put HP in the top 3 brands for reliable customer service and generally good build quality when it comes to laptops. Dell, HP, and Apple. If we're only talking their business lineup, Lenovo as well.

Everyone has had their bad experiences with one or another, but at least these 3 will actually try to fix your problem. All the others are meh on down.

Dtrager02 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Point taken... I still believe HP can’t possibly have reliable laptops with their astonishingly low prices but whatever.

legonate416 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Just because they're cheap doesn't mean their bad.

Dtrager02 submitter 1 point 28 days ago

It’s not just the price... I did my research and I want something reliable.

legonate416 2 Builds 1 point 27 days ago

HP is going to be more reliable than a consumer grade Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc.

[comment deleted by staff]
CarCat 2 points 28 days ago

Just saying, don't judge based on ratings. People need it for different things and a lot of consumers these days rate badly for stupid reasons. I've had 2 Toshibas and 2 HPs, and the HPs were a lot better. I'm writing this on an HP laptop.

legonate416 2 Builds 1 point 27 days ago

@OP It's stupid to judge brands based on what they've done in the past. Judge their immediate products, weigh their strengths and weaknesses, look at price/performance...

Don't just go "Oh, this HP laptop from 2004 failed on me, I'm not going to get an HP laptop now".

Entrainers 1 point 1 month ago

Two $530 laptops, have 256gb SSDs, new 8th-gen Intel quad-core processors (roughly equivalent to a 7th gen Core i7), Big 15.6" screens, and enough RAM to do anything reasonable

Dtrager02 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Oh my..

I didn’t realize micro center had such good deals. Thanks!

bzand 1 point 1 month ago

What HP are you looking at? And Those microcenter deals are pick up only so i hope you have one nearby

xsanders23 1 point 26 days ago

I highly recommend Dell Inspiron i5570. It has a 15-inch screen and it accommodates all the specs your required on your post.