• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

HP2 9 days ago

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to dim a Cablemod widebeam blue LED strip. I tried with an inline RGB controller from eBay but it didn't work at all.

The LEDs are single color and the connection as 4 pin. I'm looking for a cheap inline controller, but if a resistance and some electrical tape could do the job, I'm ok with that.

Comments Sorted by:

Shadowslayer1924 1 Build 2 points 8 days ago

You could put a potentiometer or variable resistor on the anode or cathode (whichever wire isn't a color). The only drawback would be that you would have to hide a knob.

tragiktimes101 1 point 4 days ago

If they are up for a challenge they can make a digital variable resistor that is controlled via USB and custom software.

http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/building-a-usb-driven-variable-resistor

Or, the could just buy a pre-built digital variable resistor.

https://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Relay/UPOTS

Khordan 1 Build 2 points 3 days ago

After looking at the puctures again, it appears to be wired like a typical RGB strip, but with all Blue LEDs. Try clipping off one or two of the middle pins on the little 4 pin adapter. It can be pretty easily changed. The adapters are cheap, they sometimes require a wrap of tape to keep them in place. That way you get 66% or 33% power without having to consider dissipation or heat of a resistor.

Khordan 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

For a single color strip, you would use a monochrome or white led controller. One channel of the RGB controller should work. Just a matter of getting the wiring correct. I don't have info on that LED strip, but description sounds like they may use a unique connection?

acewingman 1 point 4 days ago

Are these 12 volt or 5 volt LED? The controller you bought off Ebay is for 5 vdc but I would bet these strips run off 12 volts.

12 volt LED strip controller

HP2 submitter 1 point 1 day ago

Thank you for all your great suggestions! I will try them until one works. I'll let you know how it ends :) (It may take a while, I'm super busy at the moment)