add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do i eat with braces???

Haze159
  • 28 months ago

So i got my bottom braces yesterday. I had my tops for about two months now and it wasn't difficult to eat with them on. But once i got my bottoms on, they also had to put 'stoppers' behind my top front teeth so i didn't bite down on the brackets. Now none of my teeth touch at all. I've tried eating some chips and a cookie, but i couldn't eat much at all before i got frustrated and quit. Eating sucks now, when before it was my favorite part of the day lol. Any advice?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Try eating something soft for a few days.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Very delicately.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep practicing. I had to get a Herpst (?) Appliance, rubber bands, springs, the whole set. Eating is possible.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I also have the bands, but i can take them out while i eat. I'll just go on a liquid diet till my teeth stop hurting lol.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh, yeah, when they hurt thats the worst. They'll get better, and keep trying to eat when they do.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Aw man, I had a Herbst device, and it was so much fun. I'd take the pistons apart and put them back together with my tongue in less than a second over and over. Turns out I wasn't supposed to be able to do that, and the orthodontist was both thrilled and worried :)

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh man, I used to do that too. Lmao

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Were your first couple of days awful? The bearings cause so much pain in my cheeks where they rubbed until it healed with tougher skin.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

They were. I hated not being able to close my mouth like I had been.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I just remembered occasionally talking or chewing and the pistons coming apart just a little then getting misaligned and jamming when i tried to close my mouth. That was always fun.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

After a few days (I think), you start eating differently and food doesn't get stuck in your teeth often. This is for braces in general

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I just disregarded everything and continued as normal, hurt for a few days at first but you get used to it.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I have plastic 'turbos' behind my front teeth so I don't bite on my bottom braces. They make it so none of my teeth touch so there is a little gap between my teeth. It's hard to eat anything small rip.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Just chug Soylent for the next few days and/or years.

I was being somewhat cheeky, but there is a 15% off coupon on Amazon right now...

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Open mouth, insert food, close mouth, open mouth, repeat previous 2 steps till you can swallow the food.

For some reason, all of my friends with braces say the bottoms ones hurt much more than the top braces. Probably just soreness from getting them installed.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

My buttoms hurt more than my tops because they are a lot more crammed.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems like bottom teeth get more cramped. I have a big tooth gap in between my front two teeth, but my bottom teeth are all right next to each other.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll get used to it eventually

I have those stopper things (idk if its the same thing) but they eventually wear down so your teeth can make contact again. But again, i dunno if we are talking about the same thing lol.

Stick to stuff like apple sauce, yogurt, spaghetti-o's. That was basically my diet for a couple weeks when I first got these things

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

They said they put the stoppers there because i have a deep bite and i was hitting a bracket when i put my teeth together so thats why they are on. I've been eating a lot of chili and apple sauce this week which seems to work

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube