add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anti virus/malware software recommendations

juan101213

25 months ago

I know absolutely nothing about antivirus and malware software, which should I use for my PC I have no idea. I've had terrible experiences in the past with this kind of software.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 4 points

Windows Defender and nothing more.

There's no reason to "infect" your computer with 3rd party solutions to this.

A good anti-virus has to operate on the system with access privileges at a deep system/kernel level. I don't see the benefit in handing out this privilege to 3rd parties when Microsoft has more incentive to protect its user base than anyone else, and is providing a fantastic solution that is updated sometimes several times daily, that is already system integrated and runs without any performance impact in daily use in my experience.

most 3rd party solutions to this come with dozens of nanny's that become major resource hogs, constant popups, constant interference. That isn't "security," that's obstruction.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you I agree, just wasn't sure if I was being stupid. I don't trust anti virus software.

• 25 months ago
  • 0 points

I don't trust anti virus software.

The incentive for an anti-virus software company is to ensure there are viruses out there to protect against.

The incentive for an operating system software company, is to maintain a reputation for security.

I don't trust 3rd party anti-virus either.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Webroot, I got a 3 month subscription for free at BestBuy when I got the cheapo laptop a while ago and I decided I like it, its not intrusive, its fast, I can quarantine things, I can manage incoming and outgoing connections....

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

There are so many things more important than a good antivirus in the chain of security for computers, that I am not willing to give up what 3rd party anti-virus demands in terms of performance, nannies, cost, and the security intrusion that the 3rd party anti virus requires to operate just to take up the caboose in a security stance.

Security starts with behavior and system configuration. Anti-virus takes up the rear and in a proper implementation, never has to do anything.

In its most recent tests, the Austrian lab AV-Comparatives gave McAfee Internet Security a 98 percent effectiveness rating

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/avc_prot_2017b_en.pdf

This test? You mean, the test where MS Defender actually achieved 99.5% protection rate?

Academic though, as again, this is not the front line like 3rd parties would like you to think and pay for.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Use Kapersky ($40) if you want the absolute best antivirus software. Use Avira if you don't want to spend money - it's second only to Kapersky. Use Malwarebytes Free to scan for viruses if you believe you have one.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Sandboxie is pretty useful. You run your browser (or any other software) inside a "sandbox". it's convenient considering you only have to right click to start the browser and from there on it's absolutely normal operation. You just browse like you normally do and anything that happens inside that instance of the browser is kept away from your system.

You can install extensions to play around and test or visit sites you think might be "risky" and that stuff doesn't affect your "normal" system browser installation. This doesn't take care at all of the connectivity issues of virus software though. So if you do happen to run some malware in the sandbox and it connects outbound it is doing you damage.

You might be interested in it. Pretty neat layer of security and before people out that things can leak out of a sandbox therefore it's useless, I'm not saying it makes a system bulletproof.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

For free versions, I'd recommend either Kaspersky Free (a bit more full featured) or Bitdefender (fairly simple and unobtrusive). Both offer excellent protection.

Keeping a backup scanning tool such as Malwarebytes is also a good idea. Layers of security are important.

There are a number of other threads about recommending exact software or how to better secure yourself, such as this one, or this one.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is quite good. Light and easy to use.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Very late on this but I suggest Webroot. Never failed me like windows defender and Norton :)

[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

How is their paid version? I've only used their free one.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube