add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feeling lost on motherboards.

Chiclet413
  • 26 months ago

This will be my first build. I have a pretty good understanding of the parts I need but I'm feeling a bit lost on the motherboard. I don't even really know what to ask or what info to give. I want plenty of ports for the different cables I may need but to be honest I don't really know what cables I'll need. I know I want several USB ports. Six or more maybe?? I'm getting the i7 CPU. My build will be mostly used to video and photo editing rather than games. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

What i7 CPU? There are many different processor families branded i7 :)

Any preference on form factor (full size ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX etc.)?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no idea which i7.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

As the choice of processor will determine what motherboards you can use, there is no way to make a recommendation without that information.

This sites system builder will help narrow down the choice. For example if you choose a i7-8700 processor, the compatibility filter will prevent anything other than compatible Socket 1151 motherboards from showing.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

In my mind the only differences between motherboards are price and i/o ports and looks. Motherboards all have the standard stuff that you need, so think of it that way. Also, do you want onboard wifi or not, that can be a deciding factor

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow I have no idea.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Video editing probably wants a Ryzen, and photo editing in 8K might justify an i7...

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming by 8K you mean photo editing in the realm of 35MP? Photographers and still image editors don't really use that kind of nomenclature.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

To choose a motherboard using PCPP you can simply add your cpu to the build list and then let the compatibility filters offer you the best choice for the mobo. When selecting the mobo, you can further filter what you need for example, how many external USB ports, mobo USB headers for fans or what not, etc.

Motherboards also come in different sizes, so if you are going for a small case you will be limited to smaller mobos, etc.

If you are uncertain of what you need, a good place to start is to open a new thread and point out exactly what the purpose of use is, the type of video/photo editing your involved in, 'your budget' and possibly parts or cases which are of interest to you. You can do this in the forums section under 'Create a part list for me'. If you take this route, add as much info as possible, even if you want led lit circus of a build, list it down. If you want a super fast booting system, mention it. If you are looking at particular brands or build styles or have a colour theme in mind, jot it down. If you want a large case, or a mini, a flat desktop case or a case that can house a ton of fans or none, add it. You will definitely benefit from the recommendations offered and you can always query the suggestions and ask for updated lists. For my first build, I did the same and user recommendations were great, though I was familiar already with the type of case I was going for and the CPU, i did benefit nicely with the mobo as several features were pointed out which I was completely unaware of. (eg. mobo rgb headers, M.2 NVME SSD headers, etc)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube