add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Current Processor for Video Editing and Playing Games?

NicoMan2240
  • 28 months ago

Currently, I'm planning on trying to revive the rubble that is my YouTube channel. However, being out of the whole computer scene for a while, I've lost all my information on the new processors and which is best and all that. I know AMD released new processors, however, I have no idea if they're any good or not. So, I'm looking for recommendations.

PC is primarily used for games like: Overwatch, PUBG, Fortnite, games like that.

I video edit using: Sony Vegas 15 (Primarily as I know how to use it) and After Effects (Learning how to use)

I also do some photo editing (thumbnails, banners, random work, stuff like that) and small modeling as I'm learning in Cinema4D.

Please leave recommendations and pros and cons of the processor listed.

EDIT: I'm on a budget. Completely missed that part. So no 8700K unless I magically won one. I would spend $200 on a new one, but i don't want to spend more than $300. I won't be overclocking any either.

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 4 points

i5-8400 or Ryzen 5 1600X.

Both have similar implementation costs at this time and both will work great for what you want to do. The i5-8400 is a bit better for raw FPS in gaming, modeling viewports, and photo editing, while the 1600X is a bit better for export rendering from Cinema4D, After effects, and Vegas. Video transcoding performance can go either way depending on settings/configuration/software. Not enough difference to matter.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What refresh rate is your monitor?

The title for the best gaming cpu currently goes to the 8700k a 6 core 12 thread cpu from intel. This cpu really is an all rounder as its single core performance is unmatched and even though the 1700/1700x/1800x have 2 more cores and 4 more threads the 8700k can come quite close to the latter due to its significant clock speed advantage.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so I completely missed a crucial point. I'm on a budget before I get a job. So anything cheaper would be great. Sorry for leaving something that important out.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the budget and what is the refresh rate of your monitor?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

60Hz. I'd be willing to spend a little over $300, but nothing overkill. So I don't need an 8700K

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel you im also looking for a job to build a pc and tryna revive a almost dead channel.

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

For both video editing and gaming I'd go with a Ryzen 7 1700 and a B350 Motherboard. That will let you clock it to ~3.9 Ghz on all cores. You could get the same same gaming performance from a 1600x but the 4 extra threads will work wonders while editing.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Then one of the lower cost X370's such as the Asus Prime X370 Pro will give him the stability he needs.. I have one and run 3.9 Ghz on all 8 cores

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube