add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel CPU security bug

SubNauticaWaterWorld47

22 months ago

This has started to float around and I was wondering what it is. It also is being said that it could bring up to a 30% hit in performance. When did this happen and when will a better fix come that does come close to taking away a third of my cpu's performance?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

30% is being labeled more of a worst case scenario.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think it's a permanent thing or Intel users (including myself, but I'm still not worried until actual concrete proof) would just ask for a refund and get AMD?

• 22 months ago
  • 4 points

The cat is out of the bag at this point. It's real, and it'll have an impact for everyone on Intel. The question is: to what degree? The answer to that will depend on the workload you're running, nuances of the patches, etc. Personally I wouldn't run and get a refund (on both your cpu AND your motherboard, mind you), unless you're one of the unlucky souls whose workload is facing a double-digit percentage slowdown. Though I'd wager that if you had a workload that was about to be impacted that much, you'd be in a domain where you'd know already what's going on.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting that you're talking about workloads. Does it account for a gamer consumer, too, or I guess practically someone who opens that many tabs on their browser?

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

Sometimes the programs you run have to make calls into the OS kernel. That's where the impact is. For general browsing, that's not terribly often. For gaming, the impact shouldn't be severe. But if you're doing some highly intense workload that relies a lot on system calls into the kernel, then you're going to feel it.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha! I guess I shouldn't be worried after all because I only play games rarely browse that intensively to opening many tabs, if that's the case.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

If it happens at least I have a good excuse to upgrade my PC.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, The Register, in the testing that they're reporting are talking about a %17 best case performance hit and a %23 worst case hit at the moment:

https://twitter.com/TheRegister/status/948342806367518720

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The bug, if it is even real, only effects security in a server environment with virtual machines running. The "fix" for the bug, will only effect performance of virtual machines running on these servers where the bug fix is applied.

YOUR CPU performance is not effected.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

If the speculation I’ve seen is correct, then it would affect your desktop environment as well as VMs.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Just read the full "original" story at the register and did some more digging. Indeed, the original stories I read on this were gross generalizations. My apologies...

If I'm understanding the "rumor" correctly, the fix may reduce performance in workloads that need frequent access to kernel memory space.

I suspect like you that the "performance hit" being discussed, is specific to these conditions, and will likely go unnoticed by most users of typical single client systems after the patch. This doesn't seem like something that would impact the sorts of workloads we concern ourselves with on a hardware enthusiast forum (gaming, content creation application performance etc). Though that would throw an interesting twist into the equation for CPU sales in the coming months!

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. This is what I was curious about.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

but not all workloads.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Just completed a build with an i5-8400. Downloaded their test tool from intel 'SA00086', and it says my system is not vulnerable and has already been patched. My benchmarks are posted and still look great. So there is a good chance that all the 8th Gen CPUs are good, contrary to what many articles are saying out there.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Also for most of the people on this site who game/edit videos we see nearly no performance impact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube