add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jasz
  • 27 months ago

Hello! What is/are the best anti-virus(es) for Windows 7? I specify Windows 7 because many threads are geared towards handling the spyware on Windows 10. Not sure if the OS makes a difference.

[Edit: Free options are preferred!]

Some i'm considering (you may suggest others):

1. Avast

2. Bitdefender

3. Kaspersky

4. Avira

(Which would be best paired with Malwarebytes?)

Also - Yes. I am 100% aware that common sense plays the biggest part! (:

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Kapersky is $40-$60, but it offers the best protection PERIOD. It has been the top of Kapersky Lab's anti-virus recommendations - mostly because Kapersky Labs tests so many anitvirus that they can take all the strengths of each and code them together.

Avira and Avast are also excellent free solutions, beat out only by Kapersky.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Strange - it says that Kaspersky has a free version! Do you know how much it would be lacking from the full version and if it competes with Avira/Avast at all?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and Malwarebytes are the best in the business, however, Malwarebytes is not standalone (it's not meant to defend a PC on it's own). From what I have heard and read, Kaspersky used to be the absolute best, however, is not as optimized as antivirus software like Bitdefender is now, meaning it is heavier on your system. Bitdefender has also over taken Kaspersky in the terms of it's actual uses. Av-test, PC Mag, Tom's Hardware, etc find it to slightly out perform Kaspersky, in most test, or be equal to it in others. That's just my take though, I personally pair Bitdefender with Malwarebytes on my PC, but it's up to you. Good luck, hope that helps!

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

It does help, thank you so much!

Questions:

1. Do you run MWB from a USB or would you recommend doing so?

2. You use Bitdefender's free version, right?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I have to be honest, I have not heard of anyone running it successfully from a USB, it is an executable, meaning I would think it should have to be in your system.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Noted! And about the Bitdefender version? (:

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, paid, it was like 40$ for 2yrs so I just went for it

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Malwarebytes now offers a premium version that they say is meant to replace other antivirus programs. I still use antivirus, windows defender, AND Malwarebytes free. I'm currently rotating through some free trials of antivirus I have. I have used, Symantec, MacAfee, webroot, Kaspersky, avast, and avg. Trend Micro is up next. From my personal experience I would recommend webroot as it hardly has anything installed on your pc, it doesn't take much system resources, it always seemed to update on its own and detect things properly. The free ones always seem to miss stuff. Kaspersky is a professional level antivirus that does not bog down your system like McAfee and Symantec do. But unfortunately, Kaspersky stops updating every so often, if your computer has been off a few days, it will run several scans, while updating. so this does bog down the system. Then after the update, if runs another scan. This is counter intuitive, it should update, then scan. It has three scans, vulnerability scan -checks that software and the OS is updated; threat scan -normal antivirus/ antimalware scan; and quick scan -the fast version of the threat scan. I also use Malwarebytes free, which does not scan on its own. My solution was to set up a windows task that runs it once a week to remind me to run it.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need to pay for antivirus, antimalware on the other hand you should. I recommend Malwarebytes Premium + Avira Free as Avira is one of the most customizable and one of the best engine for a free antivirus.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I was already going to download Malwarebytes - but i'm leaning more towards (Free) Avast, Bitdefender or Kaspersky (in that order). Any thoughts?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Bitdefender and Kaspersky Free are very limited antiviruses and don't bring a ton to the table, although their engine's are pretty good. Bitdefender's exclusion function is counterintuitive. Avast is bloated by default, also don't recommend. I recommend either AVG (if you get the installation to work,) or Avira, engine is about the same as Bitdefender's.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I recall reading that AVG was bought by Avast - wouldn't that technically make them the same system or at least have pretty much identical functions/bloatware?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

No, both antiviruses co-exist, same engine, same technology but are different products besides those points.

http://www.getavast.net/comparison/avast-vs-avg

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally use Webroot, as its got great protection and uses the least amount of system resources.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Webroot SecureAnywhere, it's the best hands down Anti-Virus and Internet security software there is. I've used it for the last three years and it's the greatest I've ever used. It's even better than Kaspersky, I should know as I've used both. Just read the reviews.

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/sem/antivirus?rc=5340&sc=701F0000000etVr&gclid=CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1jxSavzS4nEdXqqFO06ozjkp6o6JRVIpCCjWV-vQeBUOfT07lj87rRoC3_0QAvD_BwE

Also if you buy it from Amazon it's less than $20 for 3 devices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ0E0HE/

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

You may use Symantec Norton AntiVirus, it will range around $50

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if I will use that one - but I will keep it in mind for the future, thanks! (:

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube