add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC can't post after OC

otghere614
  • 29 months ago

I've tried OCing my i7 870, after several attempts, all have failed. The entire system restarts. After my final attempt, the pc shut down and can't post. Every time I try to power it on, the fans and psu turns on for only a split second. I tried clearing the CMOS and breadboarding it with the mobo and cpu alone, still, same results. Tried it with another cpu, same. Please I need all the help I could get. Thanks.

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Go through these steps and post your results:

Basic PC Troubleshooting

1. Turn off and unplug the power supply.

2. Wait 5 minutes for all of the power to drain from the system.

3. Unplug all fan/power/data connections inside and outside of your case.

4. Also, disconnect the RAM and dedicated GPU (if you have one).

5. Reconnect all cables, RAM, and GPU. Try to start your PC.

6. If this doesn't work remove all but one RAM stick, the CPU fan, and all MoBo/CPU power cables.

7. All that should be connected to your MoBo at this time is 1 RAM stick, the CPU fan, and the power cables for the MoBo.

8. Use a screwdriver or small piece of metal to jump start your MoBo using the front header MoBo port's "+" and "-" prongs.

9. If your PC starts, then reconnect one component at a time until all components are reconnected.

10. If it doesn't start, replace the RAM stick with the other one and retry from step #7.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I've tried that and still no post.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, I hate to break it to you, but it sounds like your MoBo is shot. But, it could be your PSU too. I just think the MoBo is more likely given the symptoms.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I'm afraid of, can it still be repaired or is it beyond repair?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say it's probably going to have to be replaced. Especially if it was for the i7 870. That is one hell of an old CPU/MoBo. Just to put it into perspective, the entry Ryzen CPU (Ryzen 3 1200) is a decent amount faster than that i7. And it runs $110 new. If you don't really need the extra threads for multitasking you could opt for the 1200 instead and save yourself around $45.

Might want to pick up something like this to replace it and sell your current CPU/RAM (although you probably won't get a lot for them).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $154.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $274.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-07 09:26 EST-0500
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, this build was just a trial for me to practice OC, purchased the MoBo second hand. Aww well, OCing is not for me then :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube