add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jasonofspoons
  • 32 months ago

hello, how can I make a computer with better privacy? (Without spying, and viruses)
Please help!

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Seconding this. If you are going for maximum privacy, starting with a Linux distro built for it is the way to go.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go a step further and recommend a bsd variant or an oddball os like plan9 or beos, though you'll have far less software support with those

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

This is the right answer. The best way to harden a system is to use an OS built for the task.

• 32 months ago
  • 3 points

"The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe, and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and I'm not even too sure about that one." —Dennis Hughes

But seriously, don't go to shady websites, don't open spam email, and use common sense. Not a whole lot you can do about Microsoft collecting data if you're on Win10, you can turn data collection things "off" in the Windows settings but they still collect stuff in the background.

If you want anti-virus software, the built in Windows Defender is actually pretty good, but you could also get something like Avira free version and Malwarebytes to run periodic scans.

• 32 months ago
  • 3 points

That's about it really. Using common sense and not opening any garbage, download from trusted sites only.

If something is in Russian and the site is full of ads, be aware. :D

• 32 months ago
  • 3 points

If something is in Russian and the site is full of ads, be aware. :D

Only downside is that you won't see how many hot Russian women in your area want to hook up

Going off that, I didn't mention this before but other things that can be helpful, get an adblocker like Ublock Origin for your browser and use the popup blocker. Also you could use something like NoScript for Firefox or ScriptSafe for Chrome for added protection.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point. Just gotta keep up with it every time Microsoft pushes an update. I've heard that it breaks things with Spybot every time an update comes out, so you just gotta make sure you get the latest version. And be careful what you disable, some of the stuff you actually need to leave enabled so Windows works properly, at least that's what I gathered when I was looking at a similar program, ShutUp10.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

You can filter windows10 data collection traffic from your router or firewall if you're really feeling paranoid.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

here are numerous ways to protect and remove malware from our computers. No one method is enough to ensure your computer is secure. The more layers of defense, the harder for hackers to use your computer. Here are five simple, but critical steps to protect your computer, Install Firewall Install Antivirus Software Install Anti-Spyware Software Use Complex and Secure Passwords Check on the Security Settings of the Browser

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube