add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Zen-related leaks

Billy-Bob_Kenobi
  • 30 months ago

Take with the usual pile of industrial-strength salt, etc.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-vega-20-and-ryzen-5-pro-mobile-say-hello.html

There was some question as to whether "Zen 2" and "Zen+" were the same thing, or different products. Assuming these slides are authentic -- and that AMD's plans don't change in the meantime -- it would appear that we are indeed getting a Ryzen refresh in 2018 (possibly on the 12nm LP process GloFo just announced) and Zen 2 will follow on socket AM4 in 2019.

Also, Vega 20 for the miners in the second half of 2018 (though the author seemed more dubious about the authenticity of that slide.)

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool!!

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely take this with a grain of salt, given that the source that Guru3D got it from does not include any proof (or any information at all about where they got these slides from).

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, but I will believe when I see it.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

The Zen+ and Zen 2 makes a lot of sense; it reminds me a bit of the ol' "tick tock" path from Intel.

Even still it feels like a long time away; Coffee Lake is releasing and isn't Cannon Lake on track for next year? How will Zen+ fare? It could very well be another exciting year for CPUs.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I am loving this competition. Consumers win, for a change.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

It's going to be a pretty confusing year, too -- at least on the Intel side. We'll have a Kaby Lake Refresh (14nm+) for certain mobile parts, Coffee Lake (14nm++) for the performance parts, Cannon Lake (10nm) for the low-power mobile parts, and (assuming there are no further delays) Ice Lake (10nm+) coming sometime late in 2018.

And the definition of what constitutes an i3, i5, or i7 is shifting further (considering that it's always been kind of blurry when you start looking at laptop parts.)

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't forget the X299 product stack and the fact that most of this stuff is called "8th Gen."

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh god. I thought about throwing an "...and that's not even getting into the mess that is LGA 2066" in there, but the mere thought of the X299 parts made me want a strong drink or five.

I'm wondering if the rumored X299 i3 will turn out to be real. I really don't know what to expect from Intel anymore.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm wondering how that's going to change if the rumored octocore LGA 1151 chip exists. Do we get a 6C/12T i7 and an 8C/16T one, or does the i5 take that middle ground? I imagine we won't ever see a hyperthreaded i5 since that seems to be one of the constants -- but then, we never had an unlocked i3 until the 7350K.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, rats. Still, if they can get the clock speeds up over the current 4GHz barrier, Zen+ ought to be an interesting proposition.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube