add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Antivirus or Internet Security

tringuyen0601
  • 30 months ago

What should I used ? and what is the recommended protection for a typical PC, I heard people used antivirus and a firmware scanning software, does an Internet Security needed ?

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll just copy-paste this)

You should always use an antivirus. Windows comes stock with Defender, but I highly recommend Avast or Avira if you want something that scans for more, takes a lesser chunk out of your resources, and is free.

Despite the whole "common sense is the best antivirus" circlejerk that everybody loves to post so they can get upvotes, a small amount of CPU and RAM usage is worth it to keep you safe in my opinion. Even if you think you're untouchable, viruses, malware, and spyware can still find a way to get to you. They always will.

Additionally, if you want more protection from spyware, I'd recommend downloading SuperAntiSpyWare, which can perform scans that other full AV packages can't. Finally, I would also download MalwareBytes as a backup scanner program. That way, when you scan for viruses each month (please do this), run Avira/Avast and MalwareBytes and you'll be much less likely to miss something than if you just used one or the other.

-Cicero_

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I"ll add a note, that if you are asking whether or not you need an antivirus, "common sense is the best antivirus" isn't useful since that person does not have the knowledge or experience the so called "common sense" to know how to stay safe. For those unsure about these things, getting a free antivirus software package is probably going to prevent any major slip ups and keep them safe. Some of those free ones include, Avira, Avast, Bitdefender, etc.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

The big idea with security is having layers of protection. Good habits like not clicking on popups and backing up your data are a good place to start. Adblockers, scriptblockers, HTTPS Everywhere, and similar extensions are nice to have.

As far as actual antimalware solutions, there are two parts I recommend to everyone. The first is to have a free, active monitoring solution. For example, the default antivirus in Windows 10 or a better performer by a third company such as Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, or Kaspersky. The second is a scanning tool, like Malwarebytes/ADWCleaner, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, etc. The first works to actively protect you. Using the second every now and then helps catch things that slip through. More advanced users may also want a bootable USB for cleaning/data recovery, but I don't recommend that for most users.

"Internet Security" suites and the like tend to denote paid solutions with more features. Whether or not you want those features and want to pay the price for them is entirely up to you. Some things like website checking can be done with other free extensions; others like extra security for your online banking or device administration are at least a bit more unique. Do you 'need' a paid solution? No. Might you 'want' one or could use one? Entirely possible, especially if you get one on sale. Some ISPs even offer them for free to their customers.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that is not really needed, i mean, you can use it that's ok, but, i dont use them, they give me troubles when trying to download or installing new software.

Thats my opinion.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely don't recommend using Windows Defender alone. It has gotten a lot better, but still nowhere near good enough.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube