add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noob at water cooling

Vextren

31 months ago

If this doesn't go here let me know if I can move it to where it needs to go so I don't trigger the mods.

I literally know nothing about water cooling but I really want to do it so I resort to the forums for information. All the videos have them talking about radiators but I don't know about them either. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower and I wanted to know how I go about water cooling. I know also they have their own parts which have RGB and can be controlled by ASUS Aura. They also have a cable to connect my case which has lights and a Phanteks LED strip to the motherboard to be controlled by the ASUS software, so if I get their things such as the Phanteks water block and CPU cooler how do I use them and with what parts? Another final thing is the maintenance, is it required and if so how often?

The parts do not have to be from Phanteks but I would like them to water cool the CPU and GPU and be RGB, I have a black and red build but could possibly switch to black and white so I would like the option to switch. I don't have an exact budget but something reasonable such as around £250

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

For a custom loop you're looking at way more than £250, in that case with CPU and GPU cooled you'll be looking at probably double that price.

You could get an AIO (All In One) cooler for your CPU, which would be a more reasonable choice at that budget. Options like the NZXT Kraken or Corsair H100i v2 are good.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you go with a kit form EK like https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

That's only a CPU block, OP wanted to cool CPU and GPU.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Reasonable and budget is not too words you can apply to watercooling! Initial outlay for solid parts can be pretty significant with a GPU block such as the Phanteks Glacier you mentioned and Pump / Res unit alone coming to nearly £250 in the UK. Throw in the Phanteks Glacier Block, fittings, fluid, tubing, radiator(s) and your budget should be closer to £400-£500 region.

The phanteks blocks will simply hook up to the motherboard. You may need some y- cables at that point if your managing multiple LED devices off 1-2 headers.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

As much as I love the looks of my Phanteks Evolv atx case, base on my personal experiences and varying posts I've read (post-watercooling) I wouldn't recommend installing a water loop in this case.

I started off on air with an NH-D15 from noctua, and move to an EKWB P360 kit, and overall the temps of the CPU are about the same as I was getting with the NH-D15, however the temps inside the case on the loop are a lot hotter than before.

I started doing searches on watercooling and the evolv and found a few posts of people having similar issues as it seems that the air flow with this case is just to restrictive for watercooling vs aircooling.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience I had setting up my first custom loop and I like the looks of it compared to a big heatsink that practically took up the whole upper part of the case and the window, in hindsight the money I invested in a custom loop with this case just wasn't worth the ascetics. I will eventually move my system to a different case that has better airflow for watercooling (as soon as I can decide on a case!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/54c2ua/phanteks_evolv_atx_watercoolers_tipstricks/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6UAjQmg9Ho&t=7s

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube