add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for DECENT RGB-RGB/W LED Strip

Chasep009

31 months ago

There are many listings on amazon for desk RGB LED strips. I recently bought on of them. It was one of the 10m strips, and i noticed it started to stop working. I went under my desk to look, and the connection between the power supply of the of the strip and the white connector that holds the IR reciever had melted!

I ended up returning the strips, and started to look for new ones, when I realized that almost all LED strips on amazon are exactly the same, just with different brand names.

I am looking for a trustworthy LED strip, and input from you guys if you have bought it before. I appreciate all opinions and options! Thanks!

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems like you need a lot of it so cablemod isnt an option??

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Depending on the price, maybe, maybe not.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I really don't recommend the name brands. They aren't any different from the generics. Most actually GET their LED's from the same manufacturers as the generic brands.

I've been using two different kits for various purposes of the past year.

This is my first set. My wife and I use them for outside lights, nightlight for our boys, and lighting inside my wife's computer. They are pretty ruggid, the sticky back is AMAZING for generics, and they are super bright. We haven't seen any lights go out yet. These are water proof strips and I live on the west side of Washington where it rains pretty much always. We have had 0 issues with them in the rain (and snow).

This is the second kit I use. The LEDs are closer together allowing for more LED's on a strip. I currently use them on my office desk, back lighting for videos, inside my own personal rig, and as lighting for some of my kids bigger toys (power wheels and ride on indoor train). These things are SUPER bright, very responsive ,they keep up with ASUS AURA perfectly. The sticky back isn't as good as the water proof kit, but I have no real complaints.

Both these kits come in 5 meter strips and the adapters to use them on your MB or via an additional power brick are dirt cheap and VERY easy to use.

Those are just two kits, and I've played with a bunch more. From myh experience (and this is to be taken with a heaping spoonful of salt) sets under $15 tend to be pretty crappy. The sweet spot seems to be at the ~$25 mark. Anything higher is usually over priced for the same product.

Now, i haven't played with the RBG +W or with individually controllable LED's. I REAALLY want to play with the later, and I will be in a project way down the line. But those use different connectors and have different power requirements that most MB don't have the ability to handle. So would NOT be able to be synced with AURA and would have to be on a separate controller.

You can definable go with Cablemods. Having a magnetized strip is kinda cool but IMO not worth the HUGE price tag for 60cm strip. You can get magnetic backing for next to nothing and one of the strips I mentioned (with the same controller Cable Mods use) @ 5m for the same price.

Hope this helped!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube