add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Custom Watercooling Loop Introduction.

Noire58
  • 33 months ago

Hi there!

I'm planning on doing my first ever custom loop for my first ever PC, so I'll be a little bit annoying but I'm gonna ask everything I wanna know.

The only thing I know so far is that I'm gonna be sticking to EKWB parts. (I know they have a Configurator, but I think It's so uncomplete).

Parts I wanna Watercool:

CPU (i7 7700K).

Motherboard (This one is going to be a Maximus IX Formula, only that way I adquire full support for Watercooling).

GPU (A 1080ti Strix OC, because EKWB have support for it, and FE don't seem good enough for me).

So, what parts do I need? I don't really care about the price. Also I want Hard Tubing and Transparent purple fluid.

The selected case for this build is the Phanteks Ethoo Evolv Glass, such a beauty, I can't complain. But I can mention about the Pump - Reservoir mounting spots, I don't know where all that things would fit and how they would connect with hard tubing.

Also, how the tubing connects? I know all parts have an in and out, but I don't know how they connect, like the pump in to cpu out or something similar? In that case would be like:

Is it better to have the pump apart from reservoir? I see many combos that include the pump right below the reservoir, they seem the same, but I don't know.

How many fittings do I need? Do I need the 90┬░ fittings? How do I connect the pump without directly attatch the cables to the motherboard?

And please thell me the basics, step by step if possible, I'm totally confused with this.

Thanks, if you had the time to read this bible.

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

In regards to the GPU, it does not matter once under water, the Strix and FE.

Primary components would be the GPU block, CPU block, Radiators, Fans and a pump / Res or combo.

In regards to the pump and res as separate or combined, does not matter too much, depends what you prefer aesthetically. Some people like to hide the pump and show only the res, others don't mind the combo and so on. The location for the case would most likely be between the front radiator and GPU's where there is that empty space.

The main connetions on blocks and pumps etc use a universal G 1/4 thread. Fittings will have this thread on one side then on the other side have the fitting itself weather its a right angle fitting or simply a compression fitting for tubing and so on.

In regards to what fittings you need and so on, that's very much up to you, being a custom loop the very nature means it is a one off and you design it mostly how you want. Are you going to make bends in the hardline tubing or no bends and thus use more fittings and so on.

Now more simply I would initially read some of the more detailed guides in the first instance already available: http://www.overclock.net/t/226970/updated-water-cooling-essential-threads http://www.overclock.net/t/226970/updated-water-cooling-essential-threads

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube