add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Radiator size for Custom water cooling loop

FrankV01

32 months ago

I'm slowly planning a custom water cooling loop for my build. My build is long completed. I'll be replacing an h100i v2 for no good reason -- just want to have the experience and look of a custom loop. That being said, I'm approaching this very slowly and am not rushing to buy parts.

Anyway, I was on EKWB's configuration yesterday, and they recommended a radiator. Their system recommends a PE 360 Rad -- triple size 120mm This would fit in the top or front of my case, depending on where the pump/reservoir went.

My case could support a CE 560 - quad sized 140mm (Top Only, could do a triple 140mm on front, I think)

On this loop, I will start with my CPU - i7 6700k (overclocked). I will add one GPU -- GTX 1070 (overclocked) in about 6 months (first flush is my thinking). This is all in a Corsair 750D case.

Should I leverage the largest radiator possible or just stick with the recommendation. My thinking for the latter is that it'll more widely fit for future builds and for the former is I could run the fans at a slower speed.

Or perhaps some other configuration should be considered. Maybe two radiators given my plan of CPU + GPU on the loop. Insight from those experienced with custom water loops is appreciated.

Note that I've never done this before and other than keeping things reasonable, I don't technically have a budget for this.

Quick thought on the radiator size. I already have the h100i v2 which is using two NF-F12 fans. If I stick with that size, I save money on fans too although I do have one of Noctuas 140mm fans and will be buying more.... Ultimately, I might save a bit by staying in this size factor.

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The single 360 mm will do the job fine for the componants you listed. But if you can get the quad 140mm, I would opt for that most certainly. That system would run phenomenally quiet most of the time with nearly double the surface area, even overclocked and under a heavy load with 140 mm fans at low RPM.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

• 32 months ago
  • -1 points

Well.... i dont recommend going with watercooling. its not THAT worth it anymore since you can basically get the full performance with air cooling. so maybe go with a 1080 in 6 month or even a 2070 if they are out then. :D

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the feedback but I've already decided. This isn't a question of air vs water; in fact, I'm already on water -- I just want a full custom loop.

• 32 months ago
  • 0 points

well... im just saying that you should always go for performance over watercooling.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 32 months ago
  • 0 points

i know that

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube