add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Fleetleader101
  • 37 months ago

We just had a kiddo and my wife wants to store our baby photos safely so I guess I need a nas. I don't know anything about them so could someone help me build a cheap and effective one and point me in the right direction here? Ty in advance.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd recommend just to use google photos free unlimited photo storage and its google so you know their servers are safe. https://photos.google.com/

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Why would you need an NAS for baby photos? Just store them on your PC/external HDD or throw them onto the cloud, or keep your SD card in a safe place and backup regularly.

Basic NAS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVVGAFI/ref=twister_B01DDIAX1Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No need to build a full NAS for some baby photos

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well my wife is doing video as well. She wants to build something that we can keep all of our stuff on.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well my wife is doing video as well

That just affects the capacity required. Really don't need a full computer for your NAS controller - why waste the money? Businesses and companies use large storage servers and the like.

It would be impractical for domestic use - requiring attention and monitoring, just for some Word documents and photography, of infants.

Buy an embedded NAS and throw a WD Red into one of its two bays.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $105.99 @ SuperBiiz
Other Synology NAS DiskStation - Diskless (DS216+II) $299.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $405.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 15:01 EDT-0400
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $62.51 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $68.51 @ OutletPC
Memory Patriot - Signature Line 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $29.16 @ Amazon
Storage SK hynix - SL308 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $53.27 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ Jet
Case Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $19.99 @ Jet
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Jet
Total $373.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-16 10:25 EDT-0400

You can go with this.

• Powerful processor. More powerful than anything you need it for.
  • cheap motherboard. Will get the job done
  • 4gb of RAM should be enough. You can always upgrade later if you need it.
  • 120gb SSD to put the OS and programs in. This will make the PC feel very fast.
  • 3TB HDD. A lot of storage.
  • Very high quality PSU that'll last a long time
  • Basic case that'll do.
  • 37 months ago
  • 0 points

Very high quality PSU that'll last a long time

Since when did that piece of **** do that?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

CX450M? You must be thinking of the CSM series or the green label CXM.

This particular model is extremely quality and it's the best 50$ PSU out there currently

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

Nope, I am talking about this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

It's a POS. Cramped cables, unreliable, non-secure kettle socket, makes a loud rumbling sound. Makes more noises when cable is slightly moved. I mean, it does the job of supplying your parts with DC electricity, but not very well.

extremely quality

XD

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol. Dunno where you are getting this from.

I have that PSU.

Cramped cables? Nope. Noise? Nope. Very quiet. Fan only is audible when its under a heavy load, but it's not that bad at all.

I think you need to do more research. It has excellent voltage regulation, excellent Ripple suppression, fantastic build quality, 87% efficiently under a 200 watt load, and 5 year warranty.

Do your research, mate. The CX series isn't a bad one anymore.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

My research: When I press the power the button, my PC sounds like it wants to explode and it's coming from the PSU. The box it came in was nice - great for storing manuals and paperwork

I also hate my SPEC-03, another POS, same goes for the 'LGA1151 compatible' H55

What warranty? I didn't get no damn warranty!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Celeron G3950 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor $56.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $62.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial - 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $26.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.88 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.88 @ Amazon
Case Antec - NSK4100 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - BV 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Total $346.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-16 10:24 EDT-0400

Run Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.me/) I recommend raid 1/5 for safety in case a drive fails (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID) and if a drive dies to keep the system off until you get a replacement drive to rebuild the raid array. With raid 5, 6 drives, and 3tb drives you could max the system out at ~15tb of baby photos/videos or 1 month of 24x7 4k

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly no, I'd like to keep it under $500 for sure.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube