PCPartPicker

• Register

How many of you actually take regular backups of your storage devices?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Attune 4 days ago

Title says it all really, just trying to figure out how many people actually back up their storage devices, whether it be to the cloud or to a hard drive...

I don't even remember the last time I took a back up to be honest with you, I probably should get into the habit of taking one every month but it's one of those things I just throw to the back of the list of "things I need to finish setting up before I carry on gaming that actually never get done".

Comments Sorted by:

Bran_Flakes 1 Build 2 points 4 days ago

I would, but as already stated by Cicero, at my current point in life I don't really have anything worth backing up. I do have a few photos I suppose I should back up, but even that's not too pressing of a matter in my opinion.

Maybe one day we'll be responsible ;-)

Attune submitter 2 points 4 days ago

Maybe one day we'll be responsible ;-)

Eh, maybe one day...

Aren't you the guy that agreed with me they don't have their life in order enough to have breakfast in the morning before leaving for work/school on a thread a while back?

Lol yep, that was me!

Although in my defense, I now have my life together just enough so that me not eating breakfast is actually a choice (I started a new "diet" that just moved my eating times around, so it fits my schedule a lot more and it works, so win-win).

Lol yep, that was me!

I'm starting to see a trend here, although it's ironic your name is Bran Flakes yet you never have the time to eat them...

Although in my defense, I now have my life together just enough so that me not eating breakfast is actually a choice

Fair enough, I'm still in the exact same position as before, barely making it to work on time let alone eating before I leave...

I really should sort myself out...

I live for irony. And I've actually never eaten them, it's a nickname my friend gave me back in high school that just kinda..stuck..lol

I really should sort myself out...

I like to think everyone needs to do that, to an extent.. :-)

I live for irony. And I've actually never eaten them, it's a nickname my friend gave me back in high school that just kinda..stuck..lol

Oh wow, what a plot twist...

I like to think everyone needs to do that, to an extent.. :-)

Definitely, there's always something that can be worked on in an individual, or "sorted out" to quote myself. :)

Enrico411 1 point 4 days ago

All my important stuff is backed up on 2 ssd's, 1hdd and 1 external hdd.

Attune submitter 1 point 4 days ago

Wow, do you do this manually or do you have a tool to automatically back the stuff up for you?

i do this manually. Its not alot and only happens a couple times a week so its no hassle really.

So are you saying you back up these important files to 4 different storage devices?

yep on 2 computers and 1 external hdd. I just like to make sure if something happens i still have what i need ;)

Very well prepared, wish I could say the same for myself! Then again, I don't really have any files I'd consider "Important" saved on my computer anyway...

Cicero_ 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

I don't back up my data simply because I don't have any important data to back up. The only thing I really have is game saves and I don't care enough about those to back them up.

I feel the same to be honest, I have a few screenshots of "achievements" on a few games I've played, and that's about it. I've uploaded those screenshots to social media anyway so I sort of feel like a back up would be a waste of disk space.

Plus, who doesn't love the clean feeling of a fresh install when things go wrong?

Cmdr__Tim 1 point 4 days ago

My dad does, but I see no reason to. Just takes up space, and I have nothing important to save. He is a small business owner, so he has some things that he HAS to save, but I personally dont find it worth while :P

He is a small business owner, so he has some things that he HAS to save

Yeah of course, that makes sense. I just don't feel the same and was wondering how many others out there don't feel like they need to take backups either.

Shakaron 3 Builds 1 point 4 days ago

No backup here either. Why? I have no storage space left. XD

5 years ago (or so) a 750 GB Samsung HDD died on me. Lost all my pictures from my childhood and pictures from my mom's place, first car I drove, friends, documents, etc.

Never bought a Samsung HDD again. :)

Right now I'm looking forward to build a NAS with RAID to store data more securely.

Picking the right HDD for this isn't that easy though. You want reliable hardware with low BER (bit error rate). This is not cheap.

I've heard Toshiba drives are pretty good, but Toshiba's official site does not list any HDDs in Australia. WTF?! I e-mailed them 2 weeks ago and they haven't replied. Double WTF...

5 years ago (or so) a 750 GB Samsung HDD died on me. Lost all my pictures from my childhood and pictures from my mom's place, first car I drove, friends, documents, etc.

You see, if I had stuff like that, I'd definitely back it up...I'm just not currently in that position and don't feel like it would be worth it to lose all of that storage space for a backup that would mean nothing to me even if I lost it.

I've heard Toshiba drives are pretty good, but Toshiba's official site does not list any HDDs in Australia. WTF?! I e-mailed them 2 weeks ago and they haven't replied. Double WTF...

Good ol' Aussie retailers...

Seriously though is there no where you're able to buy a drive from Toshiba?

You see, if I had stuff like that, I'd definitely back it up...I'm just not currently in that position and don't feel like it would be worth it to lose all of that storage space for a backup that would mean nothing to me even if I lost it.

Well, I guess one learns most from their own mistakes. By the way not all the 750 GB was important, it contained games, movies, music you can download again. But still, some part of my "life" was lost forever. Well, I remember it, just can show to anyone. :)

Seriously though is there no where you're able to buy a drive from Toshiba?

Sure. From Germany. :) I haven't found the model I was looking for in Australian retailer sites. In Germany, yes. I think maybe in US as well... Maybe it's too new...

But still, some part of my "life" was lost forever. Well, I remember it, just can show to anyone. :)

Yeah, that's the part that hits pretty hard, you made me remember to backup my pictures I have on my old laptop before I wipe it, so thanks a lot for that, would have hated to lose those...

Sure. From Germany. :) I haven't found the model I was looking for in Australian retailer sites. In Germany, yes. I think maybe in US as well... Maybe it's too new...

That sucks, what Hard Drive are you actually looking at? (Just for future reference and personal interest.)

Shakaron 3 Builds 1 point 3 days ago

Toshiba N300 models. See the data sheets on the site linked.

Actually, I've found Seagate HDDs with BER of 1E-16. But unfortunately, I do not trust Seagate that much.

Still, I have to make quite a lot of consideration before buying. :)

Maybe I'll have more time during the weekend to browse for hardware. I not only need HDDs but coax and HDMI cable for TV as well.

But it's past midnight here, so off to bed now.

TheOfficialCzex 3 Builds 1 point 3 days ago

I make nightly backups to my NAS. Mostly larger files and things I would never want to lose.

Wolfemane 3 Builds 1 point 3 days ago

Once a week a full image of all drives is done on both my wife's computer and my computer and stored on separate drives. As soon as those backups are copy, the backup drives ready themselves for cloning. I pop in a hot swap drive, let the back up commence, and when completed pull the hot swaps and store them away.

I've lost some valuable and irreplaceable data. I won't ever take that risk again.