• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DesiMated 2 months ago

So I'm new to this computer stuff and I was wondering which makes a hard drive load data fast?

Comments Sorted by:

Jeff_M 1 point 2 months ago

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean how to prevent system lag or something? SSDs are leaps and bounds ahead of HDDs in terms of speed, so a very common configuration is to have a smaller (usually 250-500GB) SSD as the boot drive with the OS and most used applications and games on it, and a larger HDD for bulk storage that doesn't need to be accessed as frequently.

How quickly an application or data loads from a drive depends largely on what the application or data is. If your computer is bogged down with tons of processes, bloatware, or viruses that are eating up resources, things will generally run slow.

DesiMated submitter 1 point 2 months ago

ohh ok i get it, it just confused me because people that rated the hard drives said things about loading data slow

Jeff_M 1 point 2 months ago

Gotcha. Well HDDs do have different speeds, the most common consumer drives today run between 5400rpm and 7200rpm. Generally you find the slower speed drives applied to things like surveillance systems, where the data doesn't need to be accessed frequently so the slower speed isn't an issue and it's a bit cheaper.

Obviously if cost is a concern and you need a large amount of storage, a 5400rpm drive will work just fine, it'll just be a bit slower at sending data.

DesiMated submitter 1 point 2 months ago

got it thanks!

Crazyfool 1 point 2 months ago

There are usually two things to consider when talking about speed. The first being how fast it can move data at a 'sustained' rate. The second is how fast it can respond or how much latency. Just like your internet speed, one is the delay in response, the other is how fast it can push data.

So say you had a 100 Mbps internet connection. That comes out to be 12.5 megabytes a second. Your regular HDD can write to that just fine with no issue.

• HDD is going to give you a little over 100MB/s transfer speeds.
  • SSD (SATA)will be about 5x the HDD at 500MB/s rates. But the response time is vastly improved and it has no spin up time like a HDD does. These come in 2 physical shapes, 2.5" and M.2 form factor. They will perform the same since they are still sata drives.
  • SSD using NVMe PCIe interface is about 5x faster than a SATA version with sustained rates up in the 2500MB/s ranges. This drive is either an add-in pcie card or a M.2 form factor. You will get the 5x speed boost if doing sustained file moves etc. but it won't boot your pc 5x faster than a sata ssd etc. there are real world limitations vs benchmarks.
  • Optane SSD / SSD-Z are the next gen around the corner. Optane just came out with the enterprise version for $1500 and consumer version not until next year. SSD-Z is not out yet. There is no need to look at these really, they are very expensive and targeted for enterprise/data center class use. It will be a few more years before this stuff trickles down for use in PCs.

There is one more new thing. Optane memory (not the same as optane ssd) that goes in a M.2 slot and is supported starting with Kaby Lake. This is used as a ssd like cache for a regular HDD to speed it up. Still a bit of hype and no real benchmarks but it is releasing on the 24th in a few days so we should know a lot more soon. They come in 16gb and 32gb versions.

Crazyfool 1 point 2 months ago

as another reference, usb 3.1 (generation 2) is 10 gigabits bandwidth (1250 MB/s) and thunderbolt 3 is 40gigabits (5 GB/s). Thunderbolt got support with Kaby Lake.

Cmdr__Tim 1 point 2 months ago

SSD = Expensive, small, fast. HDD = cheap, slow, alot of space.