add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Franko74SR
  • 36 months ago

I want to build my dad an office PC, but I need some opinions for the build for him, the budget is $300, and that looks good for me, I already have an SSD for it, so there is no need to add that. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N7VCkT it also needs to be quiet, so keep the cpu cooler and fan.

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you fit an i3 into a sub-$300 PC? Squeeze REALLY tight. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w62ZD8

Note: Some people may get upset about the EVGA PSU. They are cheaper, but they work and don't explode. I have used the 500W version for several years in my rig without issues.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Upon further work, I fit a Pentium (Its a small difference between the i3) into the HTPC case, with an actually decent aftermarket cooler!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tByZD8

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

looks really good! I think I'll go with that, I'll give a look at the type of desk he has and see if the slim htpc case will work

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/drxPNN I changed the case, since the desk has a spot for a computer, and the slim HTPC case would look good there, so I chose a decent looking silverstone case, that has a lot of features and comes with decent fans.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

My advice, don't spend extra money to get fancier looking parts (especially for this guild's intended use, recipient, and the lack of a window). Your dad probably isn't going to care what it looks like once it's inside the box, and it will save money.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but it would be easier to work in, and he uses the 5.25 inch bays, I would say it's worth it, all the very cheap mATX cases seem low quality, so I'll get him something that's a bit better in quality and looks, I can still fit it in the budget as well

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're going to get a wider case, buy this cooler instead: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Same price, better performance. The C7 was just to fit into the smaller case. I personally use the 212 Evo. Set on silent mode, it's almost dead quiet and keeps my i5-4690k under 40C on idle. Some may recommend the H7, but the 212 Evo is a good midrange cooler that actually cools to a lower tempature.

Just a warning though, the 212 Evo is very large (takes up most of the space over the MoBo on my AsRock H97M Pro4. Hard to reach cables and stuff with this sucker!) and kind of a pain in the butt to install if you aren't familiar with how to do it.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Personal experiences and reviews mean nothing. You only look for professional reviews. BTW, the 430 watt is worse than the 500.

• 36 months ago
  • -1 points

This PC sucks almost no power, so a 500 is way overkill.

The only difference between a consumer review and a professional review is one is a user who spent their hard earned money on the item to use in their day to day life (also representing the build quality and longevity over a large portion of the customer base), and the other is a douchbag who was given the item (free or dirt cheap) for a day or so, then decided to write a review to get people to buy the product in exchange for money or said product.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Eh, it doesn't quite work that way. Professional reviews put it through testing and they know what they're talking about. If you compare a bunch of professional reviews on the same product and they say pretty much the same thing, the. It's legitimate.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm putting in a Seasonic PSU anyway, I changed it since I had the budget to.

• 36 months ago
  • 0 points

Same with regular reviews. If everybody says a product dies in the first week, it's pretty clear that's the case and nobody will buy it. If everybody says it's the best thing since sliced bread and that it's indestructible, that's the one people will probably jump for. Many regular reviews run the same or similar tests. For example, if I go on Amazon right now and look for a nice CPU cooler, a large number of reviews will specify what type of temperatures they got with their particular chip. In the sense of building computers, most everybody has a decent sense of what they're talking about.

It's also good to simply take the best of both worlds; to see what both the consumers and the reviewers have to say. From there, one can make a deliberate and concise choice on weather to buy the product.

• 36 months ago
  • 5 points

Its impossible for a consumer to properly review a PSU since all they can do is see if its turns on or off and give a opinion about the noise. For coolers consumer reviews are also 100% pointless since they do not benchmark it against other coolers, say exactly how they tested, r list the voltage, and rarely ever say the speed of their CPU, and a good amount of people don't even say what CPU they have. Most people do not know what they are talking about.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Temperatures, sure. But do they know the quality of the capactiors? Voltage regulation? Ripple? All of the many other complex things that go into a PSU?

That's what professional reviews are. They give you all the information.

If a regular reviewer says that a PSU died the first week, and it's bad, but a professional says it's quality and says good about it, I am definitely going to trust the professional.

I avoid user reviews for the simple fact that most average comsumer reviews don't really know what makes a good PSU.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Man if you think consumer reviews are pretty much the same as professional reviews, you must be looking at some really crappy "reviews".

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube