• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Joemackdan 7 months ago

So im planning on getting a new pc and I want to get an i5-7500 cpu but I want to get two 4gb rx 480's. Would it be more reasonable to just get one 8gb for now and wait to upgrade or get both 4gb's now and than replace? Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 3 points 7 months ago

Assuming this is for gaming you would be better off just getting a single GTX 1070. They will trade blows depending on the game, it will use less power, and none of the typical SLI/Crossfire issues.

Khaosix 19 Builds 0 points 7 months ago

Not to mention how many games aren't optimized for SLI/Crossfire at all (not including issues) and then you would be essentially stuck with a $400+ RX 480.

+1

Cicero_ 3 Builds 2 points 7 months ago

You would be surprised how little issues crossfire actually has with game compatibility.

Khaosix 19 Builds 1 point 7 months ago

Would I be surprised? Let's assume you are right and 99% of games run fine on crossfire.

If there is even a single game where crossfire has an issue or doesn't scale well, then a single 1070 would be better; would it not?

The only reasons to crossfire RX 480s instead of a GTX 1070 is either because

• You are a red fan boy (that's fine)
  • Aesthetics (two cards do look cool)
  • The only games you play/primarily play run significantly better on CF 480s than a 1070
  • You don't have the money for a 1070 and buy an RX 480 and are going to add a second one later (this is the only reason in terms of performance)

Reasons to go 1070 instead of CF RX 480s

• Less compatibility issues
  • Only one card (less things to go wrong)
  • Better cooling (Have you seen temps on CF/SLI cards without custom cooling?)
  • Less power consumption
  • Option of adding a second 1070 later

If you have $400 budgeted for a video card (ruling out later upgrades), it makes no sense to buy CF cards when a single card (AMD or nVidia) can perform with/outperform them.

Cicero_ 3 Builds 2 points 7 months ago

Listen, I'm not disagreeing with you. A 1070 would be arguably a better choice. I just think that the perception that crossfire barely works with anything is hugely overblown.

Here's a list of all the games that do support it.

A5PECT 1 Build 1 point 7 months ago

I don't see it being overblown. Whatever issues a single card may have, two cards will have all of the same and more.

When new builders (like the OP) come in and see all these fancy rigs with multiple cards we don't want them emulating that without knowing what they're in for.