add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

so uh dumb question; Graphics caught fire would this damage motherboard?

Metalcoldreaper
  • 37 months ago

Update: So i tested the pc out without a gpu in it; went straight to desktop no problem. (Well. it black screened a bit after login but thats been an issue for awhile.) there was nothing wrong as far as i could see except high cpu usage; which i assumed was cause of using intergrated graphics. I bought a 1050 off PCcase and hopefully it'll be here soon; i'll ask the techs to test the PSU as i only want the pc to last a few more months; no sense buying everything brand new if its just gonna get shelved 3 months later.

i have a broken GPU and i had the old gpu plugged in to just check if it can work on integrated graphics online.

there's a lil bit of orange as the gpu catches fire for a bit and i immediately turn it off.

I am now afraid to turn it on but would this have damaged the motherboard? it wasn't a huge fire just like a small spark of one. and i have taken the gpu out to not tempt me again!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Did your pc shutdown? Or was it still running?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

i believe the pc was still running when the spark started. My attention kinda went to it immediately.

I am honestly too scared to turn it on now

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm it is hard to determine the cause. The sparks could either be a faulty GPU or some short. How often did you use you pc before this happened?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Quite a lot; but the GPU isn't the issue. I am replacing it on tuesday hopefully.

I am just worried if it catching fire damaged the Motherboard cause i just can't afford a motherboard AND a gpu.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Check your cables just to be sure there are no short and try booting the pc using another gpu. This is how you would know if the motherboard is ok. If you have time it is best to bring it to a shop so they could test it for you.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

i turned it on without a GPU in it- went to the desktop time no trouble.

Someone told me i should buy a PSU too; but i have no idea if thats within my budget at the moment.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This happened to me like a dozen times when I was mining Bitcoin. Not once did I have to replace anything but the GPU. You will be fine.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Heres hoping; haha. I am going to ask the techs to just check of the psu is good (I only need it to last a few months and i am buying a new pc)

i am guessing the gpu blew due to overusage. I..never really turn my pc off. Bad habit.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it stay on, not even in sleep? At least let it sleep after like an hour. It doesn't hurt at all. The only issue I've ever had with sleep is when RAM starts to fail in the future, it crashes when you return from sleep.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

i tested it yesterday without the gpu in it; computer stays on. so i guess psu; etc is fine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube