add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Some good Kaby Lake news for gamers

Billy-Bob_Kenobi
  • 38 months ago

Anandtech's verdict on the i5-7600K: it'll hit roughly the same clock speeds as the i7-7700K and deliver similar levels of performance in gaming, while running about 30C cooler.

full review

Apparently the i3-7350K is a strong performer as well, but they don't have that review up yet.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

the 6600k and 7600k have the same performance when you clock them the same

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

But from what I've read, 4.5-4.7GHz tends to be the upper limit for 6600K overclocking, whereas it looks like the 7600K has more headroom.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I think there text is not clear, what they actually said:

"For $86 less, the Core i5-7600K scores about 80% of what the Core i7-7700K does in the heavy instruction benchmarks, all while doing it at 30C less and 20W less. If you need extra performance, overclocking it to 7700K frequencies is super easy, and you still come in under power for the extra performance."

So at stock speeds the 7600k is 30 degrees cooler or so as it uses less power, partly a given running at lower frequencies. Overclock it and you power use will go up, but still under 7700k total power draw, which is also a given as the latter uses HT also. They neglect to mention the temp the 7600k jumps to when OC'd however or exact wattage difference. IMO at like for like clocks, the chips will be fairly close in terms of temps and power use I would expect. Also for gaming usually a like for like clock between the i5 and i7 is pretty normal.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube