add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ubernuber
  • 87 months ago

What do you think? Going for performance/expandability/aesthetics.

Will be used for graphics design / gaming / 3d work / and running a virtual machine.

Goal is to have a machine that performs well for at least three years, and in three to five years add a 2nd 7950, i7, and 8gb more RAM.

I'm open to changing anything but the case, but must stay at (not under or over, goal is not to save but to get the most for $1300) $1,300.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $111.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.98 @ Outlet PC
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card $269.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $19.99 @ Newegg
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case $102.00 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $95.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.97 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus MX239H 23.0" Monitor $237.58 @ Newegg
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard $75.91 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1278.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-12 02:28 EDT-0400

Comments

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Future-proofing on that time scale is foolish. You selected parts should be plenty good for at least three years gaming if we are talking about games currently available.

In three to five years a second 7950 is unlikely to be of any use.

In three to five years an i7 isn't going to be much of an upgrade from an i5 that can overclock to similar speeds.

In three to five years the price of DDR3 will be so high you wont want to pay the price.

In my 30 years experience the only parts that routinely are worthy of future-proofing are the case, PSU and monitor. Forget everything else.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

So, like, as close to $1300 as possible for these parts?

Hm. I can do that.

Um. You do realize you have no hard drive there, right?

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically, what JeBarr is trying to say: don't try to futureproof your CPU/motherboard/graphics/RAM. Those are the things that you will likely be replacing every two or three years as you see fit. My current upgrade plan is to alternate processor/motherboard/RAM and GPU so that I'm upgrading something every year, but so that I'm not spending money for all of it in the same year.

All this said, you also need hard disks.

And here's the thing: if you're planning a dual GPU system, do not go micro ATX. You will have cooling headaches, and it will be expensive to keep everything adequately cooled off.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

In your opinion then, should I just hold off until the 2011 socket parts come down in price?

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

You could, yeah. Also, the new video cards will be out in the fall/winter. If you can, and it would give you a chance to come up with a bit more money, I would.

I mean, the system I built up there is nice and will likely get you through a couple years, but you're still going to have to, you know, upgrade. It's just part of it. The good thing about building your own, though, is that you can do it gradually if you want to. :P

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $111.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.98 @ Outlet PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.04 @ Outlet PC
Storage G.Skill Phoenix III 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $109.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card $234.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $19.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $79.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.97 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor $167.58 @ Newegg
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard $75.91 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1302.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-12 03:51 EDT-0400

This is as close as I could get while keeping the liquid cooler for overclocking. You do not want to do micro ATX cases with a proposed dual card setup. This is a small-ish case, but it's still large enough to do the dual card thing. The power supply is more than enough for this system. The graphics card is not much on first glance, but do some checking around and you'll quickly see that you can push it to 7950 performance and beyond...and that's with the stock cooler, on stock voltage. This is smarter, expandable, and well thought out. And? It has room for the liquid cooler. :P

And for the record: that monitor is one of two I'm looking at for my gaming/Photoshop system. I think that it's a good bang-for-buck ratio, and it has a nice rebate right now.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Try not to lose sight of the submitter details. It's easy to forget but he said the case was decided on and so you should build a list around that. Nothing wrong with your list, but maybe you overlooked that part ;)

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

And I gave good reasons for not choosing the Micro ATX mini case if you'd read.

You don't want to do that in a proposed dual card setup, especially if you aren't going to look into custom liquid cooling. It will get too hot, and you're basically limiting the potential life of your components to do it. If the OP really must have that case, I suggest giving up the dual card dream.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I read it all right, but that doesn't change anything because in this case you are wrong. Out of all the micro atx mini tower chassis the tj08 is probably the best choice for a dual GPU configuration. Not that I would personally recommend it but my opinion doesn't change the facts.

What I see here is a person wanting to help others, and that is great, but it sure isn't fair to those seeking help that the most active helper is regurgitating generic information without fact checking and routinely ignoring basic submitter details.

I think we both agree dual GPU is not a great idea in this specific situation, however, the chassis chosen by the submitter is more than capable.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

I never said it wasn't capable; I said that it shouldn't be done without adequate cooling, which basic air cooling isn't likely to provide. I said that unless OP is willing to spend SERIOUS DOSH keeping things cool, it's not a good idea. Maybe I said it badly? I don't actually know why we're arguing about this because, essentially, you're saying the same thing that I am.

Never in a million years would I put a dual card system in a Micro-ATX case in a system that I wanted to last for a few years unless there was some way, liquid likely, to cool it. Heat shortens the life of the parts.

Edited to note: It's likely one of the reasons that pre-built PCs fail years earlier than most well done home built ones do. They cram so much crap into a case with really ****** cooling. It's basically doomed.

I will do some more research into that case, though, because I'm curious. However, two graphics cards just put out too much heat to make me anywhere near comfortable recommending less than an ATX build.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

fwiw i agree with both of you :)

i gave up my dreams of a two gpu build in this case over temperature concerns. one well cooled, oc'd 7950---->7970/8xxx will suit me just fine. i'm waffling between gigabyte and sapphire but http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JA33 is where i'm at most recently although my time frame is moving into summer which is probably a good thing with Radeon's 8xxx series around the corner prices on 7970's will come down a bit.

it's a nice case and people in this Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club are stuffing two gpu's into it but i'm not as determined. as has been suggested i'm more interested in dissipating heat and preserving hardware than shoehorning a custom water loop into a sff with two gpu's.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I think you should switch to a AMD build. Kinda weird reasoning, but it will perform better NOW for some things on your list like 3D work and running virtual machines (thread whores). You most likely won't notice a difference in gaming, though the FPS may be a little different.

They run hotter, can that case fit an H80? Seems like it should since it has a 120mm fan slot in the back, and its unused. But I didn't know as the H80 is pretty thick and your MOBO will be inverted in that case. That would be a good way to get heat out of your case, and push the FX-8350K to higher speeds making it more relevant, for longer. Make sure you stick with reference design graphics cards as they exhaust heat out the back. They don't cool the card as well, but that case will trap heat. Luckily you have an option to invert the PSU and pull cool air in the top of your case.

AMD SEEMS to be sticking with AM3+ for now. So there may be an upgrade path for you to take later. Maybe to a 10 core or more system??? :)

• 87 months ago
  • 2 points

I think they've said that AM3+ and FM2 are here to stay for a while. Steamroller will be AM3+, but I'm not sure about the new FX processor after that.

Too many rumors going around. I hope they release a roadmap with the generation after Steamroller on it soon because I'm curious.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Soooo....do you agree, think I am an idiot? Dammit MoxieGrrl, these questions must be answered!

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

I do indeed agree.

Budget builds, at least at the under $800 range, are best served by going AMD right now. Price VS performance is pretty damn good for the FX 6300.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay okay, I'll let u live. ;P

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

My way is kind of as follows:

Stick the 7870 XT in your build. Build around it. If you can keep it with an Intel processor, that's fine. If you can't, switch to AMD. :P

So scientific, huh?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube