add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Today in 3D XPoint news

Billy-Bob_Kenobi
  • 46 months ago

Tom's Hardware coverage of Micron's 3D Xpoint presentation at the Flash Memory Summit. Looks promising.

And now the bad news: "Micron: 3D XPoint storage is four to five times as expensive as NAND"

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice, I was just about to post a topic like this but you beat me to it.

3D XPoint technology is said to be faster than NAND and denser than DRAM. It was recently jointly announced by Intel and Micron. Intel will be selling Optane branded products and Micron will be selling QuantX branded products. It seems as Intel is finally making its return to the RAM industry as it was when it was only a few years old as a company.

And now the bad news: "Micron: 3D XPoint storage is four to five times as expensive as NAND"

That's just the way technology is when it's new. Hard drives took up about the size of two commercial refrigerators, costed about ~$2000, and only stored a few megabytes (actually, that was a LOT back then). As far as SSDs, in ~2005 there was breaking news that SSD pricing had dropped to a few hundred dollars per gigabyte.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Meanwhile, Seagate is stuffing 4 M.2 drives onto a pcie riser card, and requiring the user to set up a raid 0 setup (in software nonetheless), and since the riser card doesn't have a pcie switch, requires a motherboard that can split the x16 lanes into 4 sets of x4. lol

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Why Raid 0 when you could do both redundancy and speed?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Because then they can advertise it at 10GB/s I guess. It just seems like a glorified riser card though, and since it is software based RAID, you can probably run any config.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm interested to see how having only one controller that is multiplexed will work in the real world. I'd love to see how much dram they use in it.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Me too. It seems as Samsung just released their 15 TB enterprise SSD and now Seagate is making a huge jump and releasing a 60 TB SSD. My main, long lasting question, is reliability. Is it as unreliable as Seagate's Barracuda 3 TB, worse, better?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Since they are using Micron's 3d NAND, I'd imagine the reliability would be ok. I guess we'll get a better idea once they release the endurance ratings

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

What would XPoint be used in though?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

SSDs and RAM

Intel said that 3D XPoint will deliver an amazing gaming experience and that they want to optimize it to work with AMD's upcoming Zen processors (surprise surprise, not trolling).

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Good lord, a 1+tb Radeon SSG with 3d Xpoint? Yes please!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

3D XPoint is something from Intel and Micron, so I doubt that they'll share the technology with AMD. They're making 3D XPoint work with Zen which will give them more market share but there wouldn't really be a profit for Intel/Micron (other than perhaps patent licensing) to share the technology with AMD. That would just open more competition...or are AMD Radeon SSDs so unpopular that Intel/Micron would make more money off patent licensing than AMD would take away Intel/Micron's business?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

But here's what you are forgetting, I'm just talking out of my *** for this, but I'm pretty sure AMD licensed it's brand name to Crucial to use in SSDs, but it could be the other way, having Crucial fab AMD's SSD line.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, good point. I guess the SSG is so niche (I can count the uses for it that I can think of one one hand), AMD might not even bother.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

So better than HBM, but not RAM speeds? Sounds dank to me.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If I recall correctly...

3D XPoint is faster than NAND but slower than DRAM, but is denser than DRAM.

3D XPoint technology is aimed at both SSDs and RAM.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, so slower, but much higher capacity RAM?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to see SSD tech advancing although for most I think we'd (I know I am) be more interested in getting 1 or 2 TB drives at lower cost. They have been coming down and will continue to but I'd like to go without a HDD at all but its just not feasible to replace my 2 WD Black 2TB Raid1 drives with SSDs. Granted I probably would not need RAID1 if I were using SSD's but it's $240 for 2-HDD's or $630 for 1-850Evo.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube